Greys

kelso2340

kelso2340

So for a graduation present my girlfriend and her parents got me an 11' 4wt streamflex. I already have a Clearwater 10' 4wt. I really want the extra length but havingn two 4 wts may be pointless. The thought of the 3 wt scares me though. Not that I catch a lot of pigs but I fish the little J and spring a lot and I would feel scared with a 3 wt. does anybody have any opinions on the 3wt vs 4wt?

You could fish a 0 weight and get away with it on Spring Creek. I have multiple 4 wts and use them all. If you want to diversify your collection, the 3 wt is for you. If you like using a 4 wt to handle larger fish in faster currents, keep what you have.

Isn't the streamflex strong enough to handle a 5wt? You could probably get away with a line from 3 to 5 on it.

I fish a 3wt nymph rod almost exclusively. I have landed 20"+ fish with no problem. The nice thing about the dedicated nymph rods is it protects your tippet. The hardest thing about using a 11' is the angle of landing the fish.

The streamflex 10' 3wt is the only graphite rod I still own, it's a great nymphing rod.
No problem with trout up in the teens.

Back