Great Cheap Dry Fly Box.

osprey

osprey

The plastic containers that electrical tape comes in make a great , water resistant , dry fly box that is big enough not to crush hackles and is watertight and FLOATS!! Glue a little thin foam to the bottom and you are good to go!! The worst thing for me about most all fly boxes available on the market is that in one way or another they are not really fly friendly , these simple , cheap plastic containers are.

osprey wrote:
The plastic containers that electrical tape comes in make a great , water resistant , dry fly box that is big enough not to crush hackles and is watertight and FLOATS!! Glue a little thin foam to the bottom and you are good to go!! The worst thing for me about most all fly boxes available on the market is that in one way or another they are not really fly friendly , these simple , cheap plastic containers are.

I great tip for any compartment box is to cut up in squares one of those flat rubberized refrigerator magnets and glue it to the bottom of each compartment. The flies hold in place and will not blow away in the wind.

afish.........those old magnet calendars are all over my tying bench for sticking flies and hooks to but it never occured to me to use them in the fly box , GREAT IDEA!!! That will make the box windproof , which is the only thing that i've had trouble with so far. Never try and open one of those boxes while in a fast moving boat (I can be such a dumbass) size 20 Griffiths gnats flying in the breeze. I'll let you know how the magnet idea works out , if it does i'll bring one to the next Jam for you. Why is it that most all of the boxes on the market to purchase are not really very friendly to the fly?

Do you often troll sz20 griffith's gnats? That's hardcore, sir.

Altoid's box or similar.

I've got stacks of water resistant tobacco tins, because McBaren Flake is the bomb diggity, but I've always held off using them coz of stink.

You don't worry about altoid smell?

Nah. That would'nt be the reason I miss fish. My tin is a few years old and has no smell at this time other than stream funk.

Terribly tied flies and horrible presentations are much more likely to be the reason for my failures.

Well, there's that too, but I need excuses!

Back