Got my new steelhead rod delivered today.

PACOFRANSICO

PACOFRANSICO

My new 8wt, came on the brown truck today. to replace my cabelas rod i lost a section of last week.

I got a winston ascent. I was really impressed witht he quality of the rod being a chinese made winston. It 's a rocket launcher, I was thrown a dt line over 60 ft with about 15 mhp wind in my face tonight.

My only concern is for steel I was always told to use a mid flex rod like my previous 1, softer tip helps absorb some of the shock of the line. The ascent is more of a tip flex. Do you think that too much back bone will hinder me any?

Glad it casts nice for you.
I noticed a big difference between my 25 year old orvis with a softer action and a new faster sage xp. I limit my xp to warmwater and salt water and use my softer rod for steelhead.
That is not to say your experience might vary, or that you can't adjust your fighting style to fit any rod...but I certainly preferred the softer rod on the erie tribs.
One way to find out for sure...and that isn't a bad way to find out!!!! Let us know what you think!

rod delivered???

you should have built that thing up yourself.

Winstons are good. You'll appreciate that faster action.

The 8 wt. will be fine for steelhead. My advice is to use the heaviest tippet you can get away with. When the flows are good you can use 0x and 1x, with the 8 you'll be able to horse them so to speak. I dont fish steel with less than 3x. But what ever works for you. It's mostly just roll casting in Erie.

Like David, I started using a 9'6 6wt for steel last year and suffered less breakoffs with a slightly more forgiving tip- but it could be that I was getting alittle better at fishing for them. After, I get a few fish under my belt I switch over to the six weight. You'll be playing them longer with a 6 wt.

So far my expereince is if you are fishing for fresh fish, I like the 8 wt for earlier in the season when the fish act like recalcitrant cinder blocks. There not leader shy either.

In any case it's fun. I get alot of mileage out of my 8wt, I fish it in the salt too-helps with a fighting butt. Good luck.

I was gonna build an 8wt. but with my back up 6wt. steel outfit broke and my old 8wt. outta action I needed 1 right away. Plus buy the time I turned the cork ordered and recieved all the components I'd be out 2 to 3 weeks. And for the price for the winston was $119 and the blank was $69. Id have more money buildin the thing.

And i was up thinkin at the bench last night Rio makes a shock gum leader butts. I think hook and hackle offers them too. They add 2 to 3 ilbs. of weight of break strenght to your tippet. I gonna get some for up there. I should bee ok no more horseing em in I'll be alittle softetr on the drag. I'll post pick of the first fish I get on her.

might get a better hook set , your not trying to protect light tippet either so , its all good

Back