Got a new toy!!!

C

CAMBYSES

Today I went to the Sporting Gentleman after fishing Ridley to pick up some tying tools and materials and while I was waiting for Barry to pull out the tools I wandered over the rod rack and saw a Orvis Clearwater 6'6" 3wt for $179.00. So I told Barry I would take it!

What I didn't notice was the sale tag on the rod and I got it for $79.99!!! I haven't fished the rod yet as I don't have a reel set up with 3wt or 4wt line yet. (thats in the mail)

I ended up leaving with a bobbin, a dubbing brush, 3 packs of hooks, 2 spools of antron yarn and 3 packs of zonker strips all for less than the rod originally costs!!!

GOOD DAY FOR ME!!

Bob

cambyses
I have the Orvis 6'6'' Clearwater model 664-2 midflex 6.0
2pc 4wht ,I use a 3wht line on it with no problem .
You are going to enjoy it
beadhead2 :-D

I can't wait to fish it. Currently my small stream rod is an Eagle Claw 6'6" 5wt that does the job but this is going to be like heaven (I HOPE)

Bob

Geesh!!! WHAT a steal, Bob, nice going!
I don't own an Orvis of that model, but DO have an 7'-6" 3wt. that I built myself on a Lamiglass blank and love it, for smallish streams and creeks.
I can only imagine that one even another foot shorter, as yours is, would be even more convenient in the right circumstances.
I did have a 5'even-6wt. Fenwick glass rod a long time ago and remember how much fun that rod was too! Not too keen for roll casting, as I recall, but I was always amazed at how far it DID cast, with the right line! (if not mistaken, it was called an "Iron Feather" by Fenwick!?)
I only remember owning that rod, because of the price you stole,,,,,,,,,,,,,,errrrrr, PURCHASED, your new Orvis for. I, also, paid $79.00 for that Fenwick, but unfortunately at the time, THAT was "current retail".
Perhaps, now, with the cash you've saved you can buy your poor cat a new coat!??!!??

FB,

I think I stole it as well!!!

I took the rod out for a test run this afternoon and man I really love this rod. Even at 6'6" I can really toss that line. I wouldn't use this rod on something like the Schuylkill or the Lehigh but for small creeks and streams like Ridley, French or Hay This rod is perfect.

Today I had my Orvis Battenkill reel with Orvis silver label 3wt WF line and I thought the casting was smooth and very precise.

I landed 3 trout in about 1.5hrs, all 3 fish were over 14" and I was able to land the fish easily and without too much stress to the trout.

I highly recommend this rod to anyone looking for a small stream rod!

I only have one complaint, well I guess its more of an observation as it didn't really effect the functionality of the rod. When casting I didn't feel any flex in the tip, all of the feel came from the middle of the rod which took me a few casts to get use to, but I don't think it effected my casting in a negative way, I just had to adjust my style a little.

I wish I could find a small rod like this in a 5 or 6wt, This size rod would be a lot of fun on the Bandywine smallies.
Bob

Bob;
Between your new tying station turning out so well, being the only couple on the block with a plastic covered cat, and NOW.... this new rod turning out so well, it's obvious to me, that soon you're going to be darn hard to live with!
Mainly, because I noticed in your thread on your tying table, that the only way you could think of to "celebrate its outcome" was to "smash down a shot of your expensive hooch!?! Normally, with a lovely "fianc'e in the home", one could think of, say; "other ways to celebrate an achievement" such as you've just completed!?!
However, since you have chosen the ways to celebrate that you have, I can only commend you on being "A truly fine and upstanding artist of the Long Rod"! ANY person who chooses their options, as you've chosen yours, to commemorate your feats deserves such a title!
"Great booze and a day's fishing", taken over "love and companionship", is the defining sign of a "TRUE fly fisherman"!

FB,

your killing me here, the MD20-20 just went all over the keyboard!

Now that you laid that out for me, I have come to realize that I am HONESTLY addicted to fishing and fly fishing to be more specific...

Is this a bad thing?

hmmm....

Oh well, I'm having a grand ol' time!

Bob

YOU, so much, remind me of one of John Geirach's BEST ever TRUE stories..........
He had met his "soon to be ex-wife" for dinner, to hash out the final steps of their soon to be ended divorce.
They were sitting at an outdoor table, on the balcony, of the restaurant. As John can only tell it, " The lady was rattling on, something about "division of property, but the ONLY thing, I can remember from that evening with my ex, was seeing and being able to closely study a yellow Mayfly that had landed on the rim of my wine glass"!
Be careful my friend, be VERY careful!

I hear ya, That thought has crossed my mind more than once!

She keeps me under control pretty well and work also keeps me pretty busy, given I am just now trying to start my career...this isn't as easy as it was made to be in college LOL

But man do I love fishing!! :-D

Bob

Sounds like you got one heck of a deal on this rod. Congrats! Enjoy it!

Hey!!!! I had my eyes on that rod :-D My small stream rod is a 7 ft 4 wt T-3 it became real handy at the smokies with getting under the tree canopy :p congrats now go catch some fish with and take some pics on post right here ....

I have the 7'6" #3 Clearwater, and it's a sweet rod. I paid$120 For mine and that felt like a steal.

Is your reel seat uplocking?

The 7'6" clearwater for a 3 wt. is Identicle to the super fine rod of the same size just different modules...great rod, I have one..that little 6'6" is a great rod for tight loops..I threw 70 ft with it.oh yea its a 4wt rod.

Nice buy. I'm frequently at sporting gentleman so I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for deals like that.

Back