Good Fly rod for warmwater and salwater fly fishing for around $300.

willdeb

willdeb

Hello I have been searching for fly rods around the web and I can't figure out a good fly rod for for larger freshwater/ warmwater fish and small to medium sized saltwater fish.

willdeb wrote:
Hello I have been searching for fly rods around the web and I can't figure out a good fly rod for for larger freshwater/ warmwater fish and small to medium sized saltwater fish.

I'd recommend a 9' for an 8WT.

If you think it might see more duty in the salt you may want to go with a 9WT. However, if is mainly going to be used for freshwater bass fishing on rivers, I'd stick with the 8WT.

willdeb wrote:

I also would suggest a 9' 8wt.

There are many rods out there and web is really the worst place to shop for a fly rod. I suggest you get out there and try casting some rods before you buy. Nearly every FFer is different and the only way to find a rod you really like is to actually hold it in your hand and cast it.

I know, it's a bother, but I'm guessing you really don't have a lot of money to waste. Finding a rod that works well for you the first time actually saves money (you won't end up selling it for a loss on some website because you really don't like it).

Or, if you keep it, you will be stuck with a rod that really doesn't work well for you and add to your enjoyment of the sport and sooner or later you will be in the market for another rod.

Finally, a rod that does what you need it to do will add to your ability to fish well and progress with your skills.

I would seriously consider the Aleka A6 8wt. Bought this at Lancaster fishing show as a spare rod for a bonefishing trip & turned into my everyday rod. Very affordable and performs great!

TFO axiom or the newer TFO mangrove. The mangrove feels identical to the bvk, but with the added TiCr coating.

Redington Predator. I've had the short 8 for 3 years and its still well used even though I have much more expensive rods in that weight class.

Been very happy with it. Its my go to wading streamer rod for trout too.

For simple versatility though if I were you I'd get a 9 footer. A 7'10" would be no fun in the surf.

Back