Gear Bags

Bruno

Bruno

I want a gear bag. For years I have used a milk crate and an old basket to haul my gear around. Now I would like to get a bag that can neatly organize my stuff when going to the stream. I have seen tons of options on the net and would like to get your ideas on what you all use.

I just want something that I can grab and go to the stream without having to dig for reels, flies, and tippet. I’d like it to hold waders and boots as well.

Thanks

My dad always found that hockey (or field hockey) gear bags got the job done without the super hefty "fly fishing" price tag.

I got a cabelas tackle/reel bag super cheap.(Less than $10)

I keep my fly boxes,line,maps,sun block etc..in it and put that in a giant duffel with my net,waders,boots and rod tube. I am not anal but it works.

Hit a "mart" and look near the last aisle by the sporting goods...they have tons of bags similar to what jay described that would be perfect...many have a big mesh section for sweaty stuff that'd be good for wet waders...me, I got mine from trading in all those marlboro miles a few years back...zipper pouch on one side for waders...another on the other for boots and a big center section for everything else...while I usually just take one or two rods and put the reels in the big bag, I also have a long rod bag for rods that has two zippered compartments on the side for reels and spools. At worst I have to take both bags for almost absolutely everything I own...

My marlboro bag is a lot like THIS

actually exactly like the red one below

and my rod bag is similar to the top one but its an older llbean bag...

I've used numerous bags in the past. The only one I still use is an Orvis reel bag to hold reels, fly boxes, and other misc. stuff that isn't in my vest at the moment. To hold my rods, waders, boots, etc., I have turned to a laundry basket. Big enough, strong enough, easy to carry, and airs out the wet stuff.

I use a $8 plastic tote.
When I get home I hang my waders and boot above it, as a drip catcher, and when it's time to fish, I drop everything in it and toss the chest pack on top and out the door (of course I have to grab my rod -- but its a 2 piece, if it was a 4 it would fit in the tote). I have the rod and reel case so during peek fishing season, the reel stays attached (made the mistake of forgeting the ree once)
When the tote gets dirty, a simple spray of the hose gets 'er clean.

I'm with MKern and the cheap plastic tote. I keep everything in it, including my wading boots. When its time to go, I drop in my waders and vest, grab my rod tube, and load the tote in the back of my truck. Just as easy to unload whe I get home.

Dear bruno,

Are you the one who I told to check Sierra Trading Post for wading shoes? It may have been some other guy from out your way?

They sell gear bags too!

I got a "knock off" of a popular expensive bag that has a zipper off bottom capable or holding two pairs of waders and wading shoes and that has a top section that will easily 6 or 8 three or four piece rods and reels plus a jacket, a net, my float tube flippers, a couple of chest packs, hats and gloves, etc.

I gave $ 35.00 for it. The only downside is the dang thing is so big if I fill it full I need help carrying it because doesn't have wheels. :-D

It's turd brown in color and it's not Simms, or Orvis, or Abel quality but for $ 35.00 what do you expect? It's gonna last me 8 or 10 years easy.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I second Tim's recommendation. I bought a couple of bags from Sierra. I have one for reels another mid size bags with various pockets I put extra gear etc. in. Then one for waders and boots. Keeps things very well organized. Generally the cost will be 1/2 or more off retail.
Bill

I think a mesh laundry bag would work for wet waders and boots. It seems like you can't really get away with one bag unless it has seperate compartments for wet gear. a bag with several compartments inside and a nylon mesh half would be amazing.

If you have an old pair of waders laying around, you may want to go to www.recycledwaders.com.

Their products are pricey, but its a good way to keep some rubber out of your local landfill.

Ask for a Fishpond Yellowstone Wader Duffel for Christmas. I've had mine for about five years. It's a high quality product that will last a lifetime.

lostboy, thats pretty cool. I'll bet they will get more bags eventually too since they have only recycled 60 some waders.

Picked up a gear bag at the Greensburg Gander Mountain last night for $20. I can fit everything in this bag: waders, boots, vest/pack, reels, extra boot soles, and maybe a 4 piece rod or two.

Link to Gear Bag at GanderMountain.com

Back