Gayle simplicity no.2 fly reel?

grouse11

grouse11

Just won a Gayle reel off the big auction site for $10. It is the simplicity no.2 model and is 2.5" in diameter. I know that it is a very old reel but was wondering if anybody has any experience using this reel. I have a Cabelas CGR 5'9" 3wt ordered that should be here friday and figured the smaller reel would match up good.

I know that it was never a high end reel but I would like to hear your opinions so that I can know what to expect.

Cute little vintage reel, from around the 1890-1920 era. "Caged" spool- the inner spool has ventilated ribs, which allows silk line to dry more easily. Capacity abound 40 yards of G level line. It might fit half of a modern 3 weight DT line comfortably. Very lightweight. Caliper check reel with a fairly loud click, balanced to run in either direction. The check can be switched out for free spooling use. Chrome plated brass- most of them have some blistering and peeling of the chrome finish. If the caliper check isn't worn, it should work just fine as a reel for brookie streams, or in situations where you're playing fish by hand. The click drag is light, and not really something I'd count on to wear out a healthy brown trout. If I recall correctly, the reel has a double handle with an axle. Be careful to keep your line from getting behind the handle.

Interesting read:

http://gaylereels.com/Gayle_Reels_History.html

Back