Galvan reel

DeweyGreen

DeweyGreen

I just got a Galvan reel an ob-1 for Easter, to go with the 2 wt MidWest Custom rod I got for my Birthday(You gotta Love a wife that knows what you want).
Has anyone ever used this Reel and What do you like or dislike about it ?

Love those Galvans! IMHO, the best drag on the market for trout. The low end adjustment covers a very wide range, and the drag is easily the smoothest out there. Closest thing to zero startup inertia there is. They're not exactly cheap, but it'll last a lifetime (lifetime warranty). Made in the USA, also......

Does your wife have a sister that's single? :-D

I have the OB-1 and OB-3. Superb engineering and quality, worth every penny. You'll be very happy with it. And your wife sounds like a gem.

i dont have one personally, but they have been spoken highly of by several people, i almost bought one before i found a deal on a buaer

Great reels. I own a Torque T-6...fantastic reel, and made in my homestate of CA :) :)

Paul W

what about the okuma reels are they any good

for trout, an okuma is more than adequate. I have an okuma sierra that worked very well but i stopped using it and started using an old pfleuger medalist 1494. (It balanced out my heavier rods better) Unless fishing big rivers like the delaware, a disk drag is just way more than needed but all the new reels HAVE to have them. I miss the indestructible click pawl reels... Everywhere you look now the new reels look like those hubcaps that keep spinning and spinning and spinning.

You mean spinners that is what they are called.

Okumas on sale on the Sportsmans Guide site.$50 for 34 56 78 wt reels.My conventional okumas are good reels .

The reel I got is a scientific anglers reel I bought as a kit from wal-mart a few years ago might need to upgrade the whole thing next year for something a little nicer.

Put all the money in a new rod, the reel doesn't offer a lot of functionality upgrade. That is if you're looking to save a little. If you have some money to spend, go nuts. I know i have, but expensive (trout) reels are really just jewelry for men.

seen this rod on ebay was going for over $4000 I mean it is an 8 ft 2 pc bamboo with 2 tips. I mean are rods like this really worth this much there is one guy who bid that amount. Now when choosing fly rods do you go to ebay or like cabelas, fly shop, orvis, or the L.L. Bean catalog?

Rods like that are worth it from a collecting standpoint. It will not cast any better than something costing ~$400 or less even. It's probably a rod made by payne or edwards or another bamboo rod maker that was revolutionary in the early 1900s and has since passed making it a very rare rod, so very collectable.

As for where to buy rods, that's a whole can of worms with opinions of every kind. I REALLY like LL Bean and trust almost anything they list (because you can return it at no cost, and their gear is good). However, for rods, you should really go to a shop and cast them. There is no correct answer as to what rod is the best. Each person has their own stroke and comforts. Go to a shop, look around your price range and ask to cast one. If a shop isn't close to you and is a challenge, go with a bean rod. If you sign up for an account with them return shipping is free. If you don't like it, send it back.

At minimum, make sure they let you test cast it.
Better yet, let you test cast it on water.

I'd check out any fly shops in your area, and then head to Cabela's.

Try everything that fits your budget, and a little bit higher, to see if one of them meets your requirements.

I did this myself, testing every rod I wanted to at Cabela's on the grass. I eventually left with something, but when I finally tried it on the water it just didn't seem to meet my needs.

So, I went to a local fly shop, and I tried a rod on the lawn. It didn't quite seem to be what I wanted, and it was way over my price limit, but I decided to try it on the water.

...Worth every penny, to me. It was that final step, of actually puttig it to water and giving it a workout where it mattered that made it come alive. Sure, I spent over 2x what that Cabela's rod cost, and I spent 50% more than I _ever_ intended to spend, but it was worth it. I took the Cabela's rod back that weekend, and used their iron clad garuntee to get full value in return (I made sure to keep the plastic on the cork and try to not get the rod dirty because I expected it might go back).

So, I suggest you find some local shops, whether they're independents, Orvis stores, LL Beans, or the big box shops. Ask to try, and ask what the return garuntee is, and buy what feels good to you.

The right rod makes all the difference. The reel? It holds line. I've got an expensive one that mimics a cheap one because the price was too good to pass up. I've been usnig it all this season, and I haven't put a fish to the reel yet, my fingers do all the work.

But hey, if your SA reel is a click-pawl and you don't want it, send it to me when you're done. I had to spend alot to get an old clicker. :)

if i ever get a new reel which i might do come tax time just pm ur address gfen and I will mail it to you. the sa reel aint bad but for some reason i like the other reels with a little more design to them not the chromed out sage reels but maybe a redington would do just fine for me.-

I was thinking about getting the cabelas genesis outfit comes with all kinds of stuff even a rod and reel tube.

We're buying so many reels and spools that we with the cost verses use we bought Lamson Konics. Great reel for the price for what we need when we need it. Not knocking your gift. You give that sweetheart of yours a big kiss and a snuggle. (Don't talk too much, just tell her you understand how she feels... you might get a new rod next Easter :-D ) Lake fishing for trout takes way to many lines!!!!

Back