Furled leaders

J

JohnPowers

I tried these when they first came out. Wasn't impressed. If I wanted to try again to throw 4/5x tippet what would I get?

I got Blue Sky to match rod and line weight (4wt). I tied a 6in piece of 3x tippet onto that and then whatever size tippet I wanna use to the fly. Hope this helps and is what you are asking.

John,
I'm curious to know what you didn't like. I have tried furled leaders too and didn't quite get the hype. I found them to be functional, but not remarkably better and in some ways more trouble.
To try and answer your question, I think getting the right furled leader for your line weight is most important as blackandgold pointed out. If I understand it, the furled leader is serving as a butt and taper, but you still may need to add multiple tippet segments to match the fly and the fishing conditions.
Mike.

This is going back years and I don't know the Brand but I recall they seemed to take more effort to get off the water......seemed to get a little water logged. I'll try the blue sky.

I haven't had any trouble like that. I really like using my furled leader. No complaints.

Back