Folding wading staff

S

ShearMadness

Are the folding staffs any good?

Search wading staff or go to page 4, there's lots of opinions there.

I have a Folstaf and really like it. Many years ago I bought a cheapie and it didn't perform well and I really couldn't depend on it. I ended up leaving it home. After trying to navigate Penns several times without a good staff I just paid the money and expect to have this Folstaf for many years.

My son made me a wading staff from a tree branch while he was a scout at Camp K on Penns. That was in 1995. I still have it. Its MY stick, dang it!

Anyway, the pop apart wading staffs pop apart if you use them in soft ground. That can be a big issue. So, its a trade off between easy to carry fold up vs. clumsy but always ready stick...

I use a cheap one. Removed the wrist strap. On land if you poke it in mud and pull it will separate. Not so on a rocky bottom or mixed like the WB. I like it just fine.

I have a Hodgeman folding wading staff. I bought it in 2005. The only problem I had was I lost the steel tip soon after I bought it. A friend of mine who is a machinist made me a new tip out of aluminum and it has worked fine ever since. I don't use it alot but when I do it's up to the task. It's a nice staff with a green finish, real cork handle and a decent case. I think they quit making them when the company changed owners.

Back