Fly Line for Sage TCX

C

coachbarak

Picked up a 9' 5 weight Sage TCX on a closeout this week. Was wondering what type of line you guys out there suggest? The owner of the shop recommended RIO Grand. Any suggestions?

I would lean toward Gold on a TCX. That said, cast them both and decide what feel you're after. You are casting the rod, not any of us.

Did you cast that rod model prior to purchasing it? I'm a decent caster and found that rod to be pretty user unfriendly. Mine had a Rio Gold and Sharkskin on it. That wasn't enough line IMO. If you are a feel caster, you won't feel much on that rod until you get 60' of line out. Due to that, I got rid of mine in under 6 months.

If I were to get another one, I would load it with a 6wt line. At the minimum, it would be a strongly weighted line like a GPX or a Sharkskin magnum in 5wt.

I'd venture a guess that the tcx model is not useable by 75% of anglers. It's a pretty specific use rod.

If you live near me, you are welcome to try any of the lines I have loaded on reels. Gold and sharkskin in 5wt. Gold, sharkskin and perception in 6wt.

Thanks Krayfish!! I actually picked up Rio Grand 5 weight line at Cabelas, had them spool up my reel and took some casts. I believe this rod will take me some practice but overall I like it. Going to use it for fishing nymphs, nymph rigs and streamers. Going to pick up a Sage Accel in near future as well.

Back