Fly Fishing Photography

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

I have several cameras now and find that each one has a specific purpose where it is most useful. For instance, my aw100 Point and shoot is great at underwater shots and fish pics. My AW1 takes great portraits and has a wide lens and range of light that I can shoot well in. I find it most useful for taking pictures of clients both while fishing and when holding their catch. The image quality in photo and video is superior to the aw100.

I will be purchasing a video camera soon, something in the vein of a GoPro. Can anyone offer any advice on good video camera options? I am leaning towards a GoPro but I don't need the latest and greatest. Also looking for something that handles low light well.

Now for the meat and potatoes.

The main reason I posted was to ask about the various rigs out there. I already have a light-weight tri-pod I love but I am looking for advice on mono-pods and action handles. might be looking for a selfie stick as well. is there a selfie stick/monopod out there? I don't need the best but I want something that is quality and will last.

Any suggestions are welcomed, thank you.

Monopod is the single most important thing a small or medium format shooter should have. I've used a Manfrotto 3249 for nearly 20 years with a Bogen 3055 HD ballhead.

I would've used a lighter head, but its the one I had and I had no need to double buy. The head has since broken, but hte monopod lives on.

You could probably either locate or fabricate a 1/4" screw mount for your camera on a wading staff, I know FOlstaff specificalyl markets one. If I were going to bother carrying a monopod on a fishing trip, I'd just do that.

Finally, I have no idea what a "selfie stick" is, but it sounds completely retarded. I can infer what it is, anyways, and you're better than that.

I have a silk tripod now and I was looking at manfrotto for the mono. I know you know your shizz with photo stuff Gary so I will be looking at that pod. The more I think about it, the monopod will be enough without the selfie stick.

We have an upcoming project to showcase the recovery but also neglect of a local stream and I am looking to get some good footage. I'd love to get a drone in to do some shots but I think I can do pretty well without it.

Any more advice is appreciated.

Can you remove the head off your Slik? That would save you part of the initial investment. I'd go with a quick release plate on the head, as well, as it just makes everything infinitely more convenient, and you're more prone to use it if you can just snap it on and off.

The most important thing to remember about a monopod is you don't stick it straight up and down, but angle it forward (like the front leg of a tripod) and then lean into it (your two legs form the other part of the tripod's triangular layout).

Dude! I never knew that! I have been doing it wrong for some time

Dear Tim,

Having never met you I don't have any idea about how tall you are but I will tell you this, when you buy a monopod make absolutely certain it will hold your camera rig higher than eye level.

You can always shorten the height of a monopod by shortening one of the legs. What you can't do is lengthen one. By getting one that is at least a head taller than yourself you will be able to put the camera at eye level when using it on a downslope, or while it is on the stream bottom. That is more important than you think.

If you are 6' tall or less Giottos monopods are good ones to consider if all you are holding is lightweight gear as they have models at reasonable prices, ie. cheap, that reach considerable heights.

Like these for example.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Maximum+Height_70.1-80%22&ci=397&N=4075788738+4291429298+4291757686

If you get serious about video you will want a fluid head. I know nothing about them other than the video folks on the photography message boards all seem to agree that you should have one.

If you'd like to ask questions of people with far more knowledge than myself send me a PM and I'll send you some links to photography message boards where you can get you questions viewed and answered.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

thanks Tim. I did not know that. I am 6' tall. so I will read more about this.

BTW - we have met. I believe we were "singing" dylan with sasquatch and biker fish before the saturday night meet at the JAM this year but maybe I am wrong.

Back