Fly Boxes for Dry Flie

F

fisherboy3

I have been tying more and more parachute and cut wing dun/thorax dun type flies. They are pretty tall and cant seem to find a box that they will fit in without them getting smashed. What do you guys use for your bigger dries?-Kev

I used to use the compartment type boxes and they worked but in my opinion you can't fit a lot of flies in the small fly box sized ones. I bought a C&F box a couple years ago that's made for large dries and it is perfect for hoppers, stimulators, large wulff's etc. no smashed wings or hackles. Umpqua also makes a box similar to the midge box I traded you but with a lot more clearance. I believe its called the magnum dry fly box. They are both kind of pricey though, &30-$40. Most of the boxes I carry anymore are C&F, they seem to hold up the best. The newer boxes are pretty nice, they have replaceable/interchangeable inserts so you can change it to suit your needs.

I use the compartment ones. I prefer the ones that you can adjust the hole sizes. You just have to watch that if you put in too many you still end up smashing the hackle.

I was wondering the same thing a week or so ago and found this thread from 2012:

best type of fly box for Dry Flies ?

A couple guys mentioned Dewitt boxes which are sold here:

Fly Fishers Paradise - DeWitt

1026A-2.jpg

fisherboy3 wrote:
They are pretty tall and cant seem to find a box that they will fit in without them getting smashed.

What sizes are these flies?

I've been happy with the C&F boxes and the cheaper slit-foam knock offs. No problems with my non -hackled flies and my traditionally hackled patterns up to #14 fit with no trouble. I can even get away with putting even bigger dries in the C&F boxes if I'm careful about how I insert them. Avoid the boxes with the center leaf and you should have plenty of room.

I also use a couple cheap Plano boxes for really big bushy stuff. Lots inexpensive of options for this style of box.

They are size 12-16. But the wings on them are pretty high, are soft hen back so they are pretty fragile.

Back