Fluorocarbon line from a large spool

L

LLR

When building a nymph leader at home do you use Fluorocarbon from a large spool instead of $14.95 Fluorocarbon tippet spool. If you do - can you share your preferences? Thanks

I use a bunch of different 'standard" fluoro lines. I use Seaguar Red Label for heavier applications such as leader butts and mids or tippets when streamer fishing. The red label is pretty cheap and at higher diameters and lb test, it works fine. Other lines I use are P-Line 100% Fluoro, and Seaguar Invisx for tippets for most nymphing. I also use Red Wing Phantom Fluoro leader material for very fine tippets. When it's all said and done I use a TON of P-Line in 4, 6 and 8lb.

All work well and I will likely NEVER pay for fly fishing specific fluoro. $15-30 will get you a heck of a lot of fluoro spooled for conventional gear.

One brand I avoid is Berkely Vanish, I had very bad results when I tried it. The knot strength was very poor. It may have have been improved in the years since I last tried it, but I've had such good results with the others that I have no reason to try it again.

I use Seagur STS. It's a bit stiff and and larger diameter than most fly fishing fluorocarbon (per LB test) , but I believe it's stronger than it is labeled. I've been using it for steelhead fishing and I've only had only one fish break off. The break off was somewhat intentional, as it was foul hooked in the tail and I wasnt going to get that fish in without exhausting it too much. Get some and compare it to tippet of equal diameter. I really like P-line too. I'd purchase more but I feel like I already have a lifetime supply of fluoro!

Back