Fluoro...

StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

I wanted to see what you guys thought on the topic of fluorocarbon tippet. I'm going for steelhead next week and need to get myself a few different sizes so I'm ready but it's hard to stomach paying 10-15 a spool for the stuff. If I get 3 different sizes I'm lookin at 30-50 bucks right off the bat.

I was told by an employee at a reputable fly shop that you can go buy any standard fluoro bass line and it's the exact same stuff you pay $$ for at your local fly shop. Anyone know the validity in this and if so, do they put the diameter size on the box of these lines so I know about what size I'll be using.

I'm interested to see if the thrifty fly shoppers here will be able to clue me in on this stuff.

Have a great Thanksgiving all!

You can always save some money by buying anything in quantity but I think things like "fireline" (berkly's floro fishing line) are more expensive then regular mono fishing lines as well. Just pay attention to the sizes as floro and mono vary in sizes and strengths.

I think Berkley's flouro is actually "vanish". "Fireline" is braided, and will most certainly scare the crap outta a steelhead.

I just sucked it up and bought two spools, one 6# and one 8# when I went for salmon and steel. Your best bet is to scope out the water conditions before hand and try to narrow it down to one or two sizes that you'll need. Tom has good advice with the "different strengths" point. People often forget that.

Do keep in mind that you can go a little lighter with floro (IMO) because it's more abrasion resistant... at least in my experience it is.

I used to use the berkley vanish for spin fishing for trout.
I still have it laying around and it has the diameter on the box. I can't find it right now but I do remember that I compared it to my tippet and it did have the diameter. Just remember if you try it buy VANISH in the BLUE box not VANISH TRANSITION, which changes colors underwater and turns gold out of the water.

>>If I get 3 different sizes I'm lookin at 30-50 bucks right off the bat. >>

I don't think it's (flourocarbon tippet) necessary at all, anywhere at any time.

Just a viewpoint...

I like flouro for nymphing. Higher abrasion resistance & breaking strength means you can use a lighter leader/tippet which get nymphs down faster and/or with less weight. I also use fluoro for bass fishing, when pitching jigs & soft plastics around cover. Fluoro is less visible in water than mono which allows me to use heavy leader and combined with the abrasion resistance, I suffer very few breakoffs even in the heaviest of cover.

If you look at Cabela's you can get their "prestige plus fluoro" which is made by gamma(same company that makes froghair) for around $15 for a 50 yard spool.

There is no difference in the flouro for fly fishing and casting. Just buy the line by test weight. Look for brands by Bass Pro and Cabelas, same qulaity as name brands, just less expensive.

I wouldn't buy it because its too expensive but I was given a couple spools of Frog Hair mono and its definitely a lot stronger than any other mono I've used. The guy was at a shop a couple years ago demo-ing it. Their floro is floro but their mono was impressive.

I lose way more fish from using barbless hooks than I ever break off so I'll use what's cheap.

I found some of the Vanish @ a Dicks but the unfortunately only had 2 and 4 lb test in the smaller 110 yard spools. They are 5.90 or so for 110 yards so you can't beat that. I bought the 4 lb so I'll have to try and track down the smaller spools in 6 and 8 also.

I typically only use flouro for big fish such as steelhead not because I feel it is less visible but simply because it is stronger and you can get away with a thinner diameter line with good breaking strength. Thanks for the tips guys.

For what it's worth, I only use flouro for steelhead, low water salmon, and toothy fish such as spanish mackerel. Those guys have been said to be able to 'spot a steel leader on the moon' and you can use up to 40lb test flouro bite tippets without spooking them.

I may be getting on the senile side of the age curve but my understanding is that Fluorocarbon is:

LESS abrasion resistant than mono.

LESS strong (by 1#test/diameter)

but MORE translucent (by 1-2 mils) thereby LESS visible underwater than similar diameter Mono.

Therefore, when 5X (.006") mono is called for, you can use 3X Fluoro and get the comparable strength of 4X with the visibility of 5X.

Does this make sense? Fluorocarbon is definitely weaker on the knots and more brittle which makes it abrasion resistant.

The major benefit of Fluoro is the visibility part.

This goes against what several have stated so let me hear your thoughts...

All this said, I only buy one spool at 3X and use it for the clearest conditions on steelies only and if the water is colored to where it is not needed, I use 4X, 3X mono and in muddy conditions I use 6lb stren mono as the terminal tippet. I use more of the latter than any tippet.

Maurice

Here's some heresay on the subject.
http://www.insideline.net/askthepros/fluorocarbon-questions.html
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontestpg4.html

Very interesting links Jay, thanks. I like the Tackle Tour one that rated them. Seems the only myth I am believeing is the abrasion resistance. Seems lines in the 12 lb range are MORE abrasion resistant than Mono (when wet). When dry they are LESS abrasion resistant. But Wet is what matters.

Also they didn't mention the visibility issue.

All in all the benefits do not seem to justify the 3-4X pricetag.

I am not sure about the link with Cooter and Bubba on the BASS circuit. I mean they are using telephone lines to yank those bass outta lettuce beds suuuun.

Still I would like to see these same tests from the Tackle tour site done with lines in the class we use. Not 12# lines, rather 3-7 lb. I imagine the results may vary with the reduced diameter. (less surface area to abraid=less breaking strength. Maybe it would be parallel.

still, thanks for the links...

Maurice

This is from the Orvis site:

Mirage Fluorocarbon Tippet
The World's Best Fluorocarbon Tippet: 20% More Strength, More Elasticity, No Excuses.

Characterisitics: Very strong and nearly invisible in water. Impervious to UV. Slightly stiffer and more abrasion resistant than Super Strong. Sinks quicker than nylon.
Applications: All fishing conditions where an abrasion-resistant, low-visibility material is needed. Great for leader-shy trout and saltwater species.
· The strongest fluorocarbon material available, stronger than Super Strong™ nylon in sizes 7X-0X.
· Completely resistant to UV and will not absorb water: Retains abrasion resistance, knot, and tensile strength regardless of exposure to the elements.
· Reformulated Mirage features improved tensile strength and elasticity, making it easier to knot without sacrificing its superior abrasion resistance.
· A refractory index of .09 makes it virtually invisible to fish (Super Strong Nylon has a refractory index 1.53)
· Specific gravity of 1.76. Mirage breaks surface tension quickly.
· Made from PVDF (polyvinylidenfluoride)
· Available in 40-meter stackable spools that snap together. Compatible with Tippet Spool Holder.
· Line retainer on each spool.

I use this tippet for nymph fishing in clear water, and sometimes use it with larger dries (it sinks a small dry fly). I use 1X heavier than I would mono. I like fluoro a lot with two drawbacks. It's a littler stiff than mono, and may cause a little more drag under some conditions. And it’s more expensive. Frog's Hair fluoro is the most supple fluro, but the price is ridiculous. I just cash in my Orvis coupons and buy their Mirage. I believe Rio makes it for Orvis.

Very enlightening links Jay. It appears that most fluoro lines have a close breaking strength or better than what is listed but not necessarily better than a mono line. If the do withstand abrasion better and are less visible I'll probably still be leaning towards them, if I can get em for the right price. Either way I'm more worried about hooking the steelhead first and then I'll worry about the line.

Well see how it goes. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I've heard that since they are UV resistant, they don't break down. This means that break offs, any snippits or lost material will be around for quite a while. Something to think about for the environment.

Steve

StudentofTheStream wrote:

..... Either way I'm more worried about hooking the steelhead first and then I'll worry about the line.

Well see how it goes. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Turn that around. The hook ups will come, be ready. Use the heaviest line conditions permit. You only need fluoro if the fish are spooky. If you can see them faintly or are fishing faster water, it isn't necessary.

The most important tip I can give you is to test your knots and reattach your flies after each hook up. You will lose so many fish on the hook up after a previous fight or landed fish. Those fish beat up your knots pretty bad.

I'll be up 'ere over the weekend if anyone wants to hook up for dinner or a few beers Friday or Saturday night.

Maurice

Mo, you may have had that impression about floro because as the guy from Frog Hair once told me, because it is so strong and thin, it will sometimes cut right thru any mono you connect it to with enough tension.

SteveB, Is that an environmentalist or Conservation minded thought? :-D :-D

Tom,

More of an excuse to buy the cheap stuff. :-D Personnally, I don't have a problem with it but I know some readers/posters may have stronger opinions and thought I would share what LITTLE I know.

Steve

Back