Flourescent fly lines

geebee

geebee

hi guys,

I don't usually buy em or use em, but i got an unused sharkskin #3 with a Orvis Reel i got on Ebay.

do you think they really spook fish ? - and is there anyway to fade them without damaging the fly line ?

as its a 3wt i won't be making long casts, but i'm thinking how it may or may not spook trout nymphing on spring creeks.

cheers.

Mark

I don't think the color of the fly line matters to the fish.

I nymph with a flourescent yellow line. Still catch fish at Valley.

They'll see it as a silhouette in most cases, anyways.

But if you really need to darken it, people have done so with Rit dye.

just do not heat it much when dying or you will ruin it.

hmm i didn't think about dying it. that sounds risky....

thanks bosshog.

If you cast over and flop either a fluorescent or an earth toned colored fly line over a fish.....the result will be the same. Vicey versy, if the fly line remains out of the fishes sight.....the result will be the same.

+1 to Tom's post.....aka line color only matters to you.

I disagree. Fish aren't colorblind and I think bright colors spook fish. GG

All shadows are black.

it seems that when fish look up they would see blue sky, gray/white clouds, bright sun or green trees. has anyone been in a stream and looked up at a flyline? I wonder if you can see the color or if it is just dark against the background?

Also I think if bright colors spooked fish they would not eat green weenies, bright orange/purple streamers or any of the really bright bass flies like chartreuse clousers.

I have fished fluorescent yellow since I purchased my first rod and haven't noticed any spooking because of it..... Just my casting like throwing a hammer does it for me.

rit changed the formula in 2011. You can no longer dye fly lines with rit.

Back