Fleece wading pants

bigslackwater

bigslackwater

Gearing up for winter fishing. I'm looking at the Simms fleece Wader wick pants, Cabelas version and the LL Beans. Since I'm 6'4" I need something long. The price tag of $50-60 a pair hurts, given I need about 3 pairs... I could maybe get away with two. Does anyone have any secret leads on off brand fleece pants (must be 100% Poly) for a fisherman on a budget??? Thanks!

I have a pair of fleece Redingtons.

fllece pants

I think I got mine on closeout on sierra trading post for $29 bucks about 6-8 years ago.

http://catalog.theflyshop.com/the-fly-shops-base-layer-underwear-set/

Any department store has pj pants. While not fleece, I'm a fan of Patagonia Capilene. I wear the heavier ones under pants in waders in the winter. In the spring, I wear the lightweights under my waders. Helps from getting clammy.

I have a pair of cabelas, but I don't see them on their website, so they must not make this model anymore. Anyway, it's very thick, warm polar fleece appropriate for extremely cold temps. Nice, though.

In just "cool" temps I go with base layer only. Under armour coldgear. Maybe a pair of shorts overtop just so you're not traveling in your underwear, lol. In extremely cold weather it's the under armour and the fleece pants in combo under the waders.

I do the same for hunting, although, expected activity level means more than temperature there I have insulated bibs over top and your not standing in water. If I'll be doing a lot of walking it's just the under armour and bibs. If I plan to be on stand, I usually pack the fleece pants in, and then put them on when I get to the stand. Otherwise, I'd sweat them up on the walk in.

As far as pants go, I struggle more with what to wear under my waders when it's hot, not cold. I don't wet wade and hate the feeling of bare skin against waders. Yet most base layers are too warm. Those zip-off shorts/pants things are usually made of nylon and do alright, or if you find a good pair of thin polyester hiking pants.

Cotton is the enemy. Warm or cold. For outdoor pursuits I will not allow cotton to touch my body. Not in underwear or socks even. Even in everyday, non-outdoor wear I'm trying to minimize cotton in my life, with jeans basically being the last hold out.

Pcray, have you tried silkweight long underwear under waders for hot weather? When I first read about it, I was skeptical, but I'm a believer now. You get extra fashion points for wearing them under shorts if seen in public.

Pcray, have you tried silkweight long underwear under waders for hot weather? When I first read about it, I was skeptical, but I'm a believer now. You get extra fashion points for wearing them under shorts if seen in public.

THIS

This spring I bought a pair of the Allen fleece lined khaki pants. They are the Bomb! I wear them all over in the winter and fishing all year.
I just got back from the West Branch and could easily stand at Stilesville for hours without getting cold.
The khaki material is a quick dry type material that hangs nicely and looks good anywhere, anytime. I'm thinking of asking santa for another pair.

Does anyone know if the Fly Shop's Fleece pants have a draw string or elastic waist only? I've also left a message with the company but if anyone knows off hand, let me know. thanks!

They are elastic. I have two sets of the base layer set I posted and I'm very satisfied with them.

Thanks for the info hendeylathe. I ordered the base layer top and the combo fleece pants and top. This was the kind of quality and deal I was looking for. Appreciate the help!

Back