Fishing fly box

• Thread starter IdratherbePhishing
  • Start date
I

IdratherbePhishing

Just thought id give a review. About a month ago I ordered a bunch of flies from this online shop. Everything was fine from the start. I was informed some were back ordered kool no problem.

When I received what flies they did send some were missing that they were supposedly sent. So here I am missing a bunch of flies and some back ordered.the place is extremely unorganized. They just stuffed all the flies in a cup and sent them out no rhyme or reason.

All in all the quality is ok for .39c but if you need anything quick good luck this is not the place. And if you do order make sure you check your flies.

Name of retailer? I think I know but don't want to throw the wrong person under the bus.

I'm guessing it is Fishing Fly Box.

Odd, I googled it and when I tried to click the link to their website, a page came up and said the site was disabled and to contact my ISP for more info.

you pay for what you get or not get......

This is the site.

http://www.fishingflybox.com/

I've talked to others who have ordered there and had no problem but if what you say is true, then it does sound like they're worth .39 a piece.

Where were they really shipped from according to the package? I hear they're shipping from Europe or something and that's why they take so long to arrive. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Ry, I don't i will look on the new package when they get their backorder. It's really not that big of a deal as I will get all the flies. Just a nuisance.

Just curious. One of my guides used them for all his flies and I thought he said they were mailed internationally and that's why they took up to 6 weeks to arrive. I haven't bought flies in years but don't have the time to tie much anymore so it has crossed my mind to buy a few especially if I go on a few trips in the next few years and always like feedback (as others do to) on sites like this, so thanks.

ryguyfi........I purchased some flies recently from Fishing Fly Box. 75% of the flies were received under 3 weeks from order. I believe that they were shipped domestically as I didn't see any foreign looking postage on the package. Possibly from the midwest. The flies are cheap and the hackle comes undone faster than my hand tied flies or quality purchased flies. Milton (works at Fishing Fly Box) answered all of my emails promptly and offered me a 10% discount on my next order due to the backorder. He recently informed me that they're receiving 700,000 flies on Saturday and that my backorder will ship next week. We'll see.

Cons: Hackle comes undone too quickly, high shipping charge, website doesn't show pictures for a lot of their flies, backorders.

Pros: Good customer service and CHEAP flies!! I don't even know if I can tie some flies for much under $.039.

To add one more point. Yes, the hackle unravels too quickly in my opinion but I've caught multiple trout on a single fly. Fly breakdown can be attributed to where the hook plants in the trout's mouth just as well as to if the fly is quality. I simply wanted to point out that the subject companies flies are fishable and don't break down after the first catch but they do break down prematurely. IMO.

I have learned not to use or lose too many flies on an outing. So, to me, under a dollar is my pricepoint. I don't know this company, but 40c a fly means they are scrimping somewhere, on materials or labor. If they suit your purpose, that's fine, but I would hate to hook a fish of a lifetime and have a hook break over a dollar or so.

A 25% defect rate is way too much. Maybe inspect the flies when they arrive and return and demand refund on defects. Or where the defects are repairable, repair them. The hook quality, though cannot be repaired.

I agree with JackM. I wouldn't trust these flies on the WBD or Lehigh where there is a chance where I'd catch a hard fighting wild brown but in the case for smaller fish and stockies, these flies would suffice.

JackM wrote:

A 25% defect rate is way too much. Maybe inspect the flies when they arrive and return and demand refund on defects. Or where the defects are repairable, repair them. The hook quality, though cannot be repaired.

I don't think he meant there was a 25% defect on the flies. He said there was a backorder on 25% and he was going to receive them at a later date.

Most flies are made in the same places overseas. Some are made at a lesser quality due to tiers experience and thus discounted, but overall you can buy bulk flies (a few hundred dozen) for under 20 cents a fly in almost any "quality". So even selling at 39 cents a piece with other overhead can be profitable, but not as much as Orvis selling them for $2.50 a piece and buying them at the same manufacturer.

Like anything, price is not necessarily reflective of quality, but there is a correlation.

$1.00/fly is skimping somewhere, IMO. Not that it's a terrible thing to support skimping. But I don't care how quick you are at the vice, go tie a whole bunch of decent quality flies, sell them for a buck. After materials expenses, tell me how much money you made per hour.

A lot of local shops who tie many of their own flies, then sell them for $2.50 or $3.00, they still ain't making much money on flies. The higher quality flies may, however, get you into their shop, where you may buy something else.

There is a big difference between good quality flies and bad ones. Regarding how well they are dressed, how well they float, how long they last after catching a number of fish, the quality of the hook and how long it stays sharp, etc. But I won't attack anyone for buying cheap, low quality stuff. It gets my dander up a bit if they don't know the difference and the trade-offs. But if you know the trade-off, accept it, and choose to buy cheap anyway, that's fine. And if you find decent quality stuff cheap, more power to ya. A better mousetrap. Maybe a machine tie makes very good stuff. In which case, somebody will be employed designing, making, and servicing the machine, and that is perhaps more likely to be an American job.

Machine tie? Never heard of one. Care to show proof of one?

Even the "local" tyers may tie a few hundred flies in a year, where those in manufacturers may tie that many in a week. I may be biased, but I'd put my weight in the "quality" and repeatability in manufacturers who tie for commercial sale.

There is no fly tying machine

There are MANY different fly manufacturing "facilities" and suppliers... That represent a range of quality

Well, I can't pass on a post where the D is mentioned. I'll use / abuse the mass production nymphs from the places that sell the flies for $0.39-0.79 each. I'll assure you that the flies are cheap in price and in quality. They fall apart way to quickly and even without catching fish. It's a lot better than spending $2 to have the nymph hang up on the first cast and be lost.

When it comes to the mass production dries, I typically won't use them. As a general rule, the body is too thick to properly represent the insect you are trying to match. A #18 olive from the discount warehouse places has a body as thick as a #14 hendrickson from Dennis in Roscoe. I'm a firm believer that a majority of patterns use a body that is too large. Use the least amount of dubbing you can get away with and you will improve your catch rate on selective fish.

Yea this place is a fn joke received back order flies and still missing flies. Will not do business again.

Back