Fishing Bikes?

goodfortune

goodfortune

I fish a few streams were having a bike would come in handy. Any thoughts/suggestions on buying one?

It's something that has crossed my mind; I'm not in a hurry to buy one now. All input will be appreciated

Thanks as always.

TREK makes a really nice beginner mountain bike for around $350. It's the 3 Series.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/#

Also take a look at the TREK 820. I have one and it performs really well.

Bruno, it looks like that Free Ride does not support catch and release . . . . .

“if you give a person a fish they will eat for one day but if you teach them how to fish they will eat for a lifetime.” That is our basic philosophy at Free Ride!

LOL!

Mike,

for a fishing bike, might I recommend going to a few yard sales on these sultry saturday mornings. Or look on Craigs list for a mt bike. Just don't get one with skinny tires, a little duct tape, a mailing tube or pvc. a chain lock and your good to go. Saddle bags on the rear tire assemble are a plus for waders and your vest.

A basket in the front and a nice ringy bell would also be good for picking up chicks along the trails...

Attachments

• bicycle_girl.jpg
    bicycle_girl.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi Mike - Best advice I can give you is to buy a bike from a real bike shop. Stay away from places like Walmart.

A bike is a vehicle that requires regular maintenance, plus proper setup for it to be reliable, enjoyable, and safe. A good bike shop will save you money in the long run.

Learning how to properly maintain your bike yourself isn't difficult, but doing it right is essential. The bike shop can help you make the right choices. Here's a good shop in your area:

Performance Bike

If you get a bike, the two most important things you can do to keep it running smoothly are:

1 - Check tire pressure before every ride (which means you'll need a good pump with a pressure gauge - like this)

2 - keep your drivetrain clean, and your chain lubed properly. A chain cleaning machine makes this easy. This one works well. You'll also need some good lube, like this.

Here's a good video on how to clean and lube your bike.

Good luck, and don't forget to get a good fitting helmet!

H.A.

I did a lot of research before I bought my bike, and I think it paid off. I bought a Giant Rincon and I love it. It's a go anywhere bike with quality knobby tires, double wall wheels, disc brakes, decent shocks, higher end derailleurs. The only thing I changed was the handle grips. I also like the frame style - if I have to dismount forward from the seat, I won't be singing a few octaves higher.

I got a Gary Fisher. LOVE my bike.

that being said I will agree with the above posters don't go cheap and go to a good bike shop. now if u research and know your bikes a yard sale/Craig's list might be an option. check the bike shop for used bikes.

for maintenance my local shop i use has a 5 year plan for like 70$. covers just about everything. i take it in at least 2x a year and they check it out and adjust everything..

one more thing..

i would not get a full bore mountain bike if you are mostly just going to be riding on the rails-2-trails type of paths. the reason being is the bikes wide *** giant nubby tires are not very efficient on smooth/fairly level paths. now if you are going to be riding on single track to no track to hit some wild brookie stream in the middle of nowhere. then i would go full mountain bike mode.

might want to check out something like a cyclocross type bike.

the cool thing about straight up bike shops are that they remind me of fly shops. most are laid back and very knowledgeable. they might even let you take the bike for a couple hour spin.

The bike shop route is the way to go.

Try Kraynick's Bike Shop - They will teach you everything you need to know and they will also let you fix the bike in the shop yourself. Actually it is worth going there just to see it.

I love my Trek mountain bike. I had two of them over the years and they hold up very well. The only reason I bought a second bike is because I was on a cross country road trip and wanted to do some biking while I was away from home. I have a model 720, but it is probably 10 years old now.

The components on the bike are very important and should not be overlooked. The cheaper the bike the cheaper the gears. You get what you pay for. If you plan to use it quite often I would make an investment in a good one. Good brakes, aluminum pedals and a good solid aluminum crank shaft all are good as well. It will last forever with proper care and you will enjoy the smooth ride of top quality components.

The gears on my bike are Shimano. I have come to trust them over the years as I also own a bunch of their spin reels as well. Top quality IMO.

Also, I do take my rod along when I bike on occasion. I will use velcro straps and attach the rod tube to the frame. I carry my gear in a backpack.

I hope this helps.

Rob

Have a GT outpost. It's a 15 year old mountain bike and it works fine. However; now that I am 40 I do not find it comfortable to ride. My 2 cents.

If it were me, I would look toward less of the mountain bike type. Unless you have a drift boat, it is the best way to fish the yough. Good luck.

Well, if you are going to buy one from a bike shop. Go with a midgrade trek. Or, just buy one from a yard sale or craigslist one, like maurice said.. which may prove to be a better option considering you will be dumping it off to stop and fish every now and then..

i have a trek fuel mt bike, full susp and disc brakes, fantastic bike, looking now for a cyclocross to ride the gravel roads near my house

whats the best way to carry a rod, waders, and vest on a mountain bike.

any websites for saddle bag etc. i got an older trek.

back in the day I used to use bike nashbar. probably hundreds of other sites by now.
BTW, I used to road race a pa made cannondale frame with campy components, which I still have hanging on my wall. I still ride my old abused specialized mtn bike that I got a good deal on from a former sponser when I raced. ugly as hell, primer gray with stickers all over it, no suspension, no fancy crap at all. perfect fishing bike, no one in thier right mind would want to steal that thing!!
funny, watching the tour de france at this very moment! I'd love to watch those guys climb the alps in person! those guys define the word athlete!!!

redrockgrizzly wrote:
whats the best way to carry a rod, waders, and vest on a mountain bike.

I was able to fit everything into a ~1000cu in daypack, rod strapped to the outside:
870437621_WQ4dz-M.jpg

now that it's warm out, I made a simple sling for the rod tube using some parachute chord, ditched the vest for a Fishpond fanny/chest pack and just wear my wet-wading giddy up on the pedal over to the stream (swapped out the clipless pedals for flats). It's much nicer not having to kit up streamside, other than putting together and stringing up the rod...

http://www.bikefisherman.com/fly_rod_holder.ydev

A couple of years back, I decided I wanted a fishing bike. Something to use on the rails to trails, like the Pine Creek Rail Trail, Lehigh Gorge Trail, etc. There's even a trail 4 blocks from my house, so.....

I might have gone a wee bit overboard with gps navigation. :roll:

The handlebar bag converts to a fishing fanny pack. The rear trunk bag expands and has built in panniers. It holds a set of waders and wading boots, and it's waterproof. I just stuck a rod on it for the picture, but that's how the rod is held - securely, too.

The entire setup snaps on and off in seconds, and the trunk bag can be worn as a backpack.

When the trails get rougher, I put that same gear setup on my full suspension bike by adding clamp on mounts that I have for it.

Attachments

• gear1.jpg
    gear1.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Specialized1.jpg
    Specialized1.jpg
    634.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Specialized2.jpg
    Specialized2.jpg
    849.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Stumpy.JPG
    Stumpy.JPG