First Aid Kits

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
Let's talk first aid.

I've long been a devotee of carrying a good first aid kit. While there are many well designed and equipted FA kits available for sale, I've usually put mine together. I keep this FA kit in my car at all times and use it to stock a small, zip-lock bag FA kit that stays in my fishing vest. Such FA kits allow for quick treatment of the typical cuts and scrapes common to fishing trips but also the contingency of a more serious injury. Even small cuts and nicks, when exposed to dirty rocks with bird poop or stream water can get infected. A good FA kit can save a fishing trip.

My small vest bag FA kit in my vest includes:
-about a half dozen band-aids
-A larger gauze bandage
-A couple alcohol wipes
-A couple aspirin

In my larger FA kit in the car I have the following in a plastic bin(see pic below):
-More band-aids
-Antiseptic cream (Neosporin or Bacitracin)
-A bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide
-Alcohol wipes
-Aspirin and Ibuprofen
-Tourniquet
-Large wound military style bandage
-Hemostats, scissors, tweezers
-Latex gloves
-Gauze rolls
-Ace bandage
-Larger sized band-aids
-FA tape

Hopefully, a FA kit is one of those things that get less rather than more use, but I'm always secure in knowing I have one close by. If you don't have a FA kit, or haven't examined it lately, it might be a good time to inventory your FA kit.

So what do you have in your FA kit? Would you add or remove anything to or from my list? How do you store or carry your FA kit or materials when fishing?

Attachments

• FA4.JPG
    FA4.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 31
Dave,

You have been very timely lately with things considered in my fishing life with your posts. My wife has been on me about this very thing and has been trying to come up with a practical first aid kit for me to take when I go fishing.

Thank you!

I am a huge proponent of having a first aide kit. JayL from back in the day introduced me to blister band aides They have saved many days since i started carrying them

"Are your pods good ? Cause if your Pods aint good yer f'd" - Shimmity - one of many college housemates

Looks like very complete kit. I see you have tweezers but I would add a actual tick removing tool. Also there blood clotting enhancer products available to stop heavy bleeds. (Bleed stop)

pepto bismol tablets

be mindful that H2O2 and antibacterial creams will have a greatly shortened half life in a hot car. Remove kits between trips and exchange sensitive components more often.

Great reminder, Dave it should be done annually,imo. I need to check the First Aid Kit on my boat to update and replace items.. I carry Goodies head Ache powders in orange flavor. If I was fishing for trout I'd include benadril for bee stings etc. Liquid bandage is good as well. Most Marie Stores like West marine have some good kits already made up.GG

I carry some bandaids and tweezers for removing splinters. Along with small bottles of peroxide and alcohol - which I also use to clean my glasses.

After finding tics embedded in me the last few years, I now carry a tic remover.

With all of the poison ivy growing along most of the streams I fish, I also carry an ointment called Technu. It's supposed to wash alway the oils from the nasty weed. And I use it if I even think I might have touched it. Supposedly, the earlier you wash it away, the better. And once I get the rash and blisters, it takes weeks for it to clear up.

Lately I have been carrying a snake bite kit with me when I go if I'm in an area heavy with them. Could be life and death pending on where you are.
Rare occurrence but still a thought

Since I'm allergic to bees...I would add to make sure your epi-pens are current and not expired. Benadryl as previously mentioned is good, and if you have access to prednisone- it would be wise to have some on hand as well. I know people worry about snakes, but of all the dangers out there in the field- I think bees pose the most common threat. I have been whacked bad by ground bees after inadvertently stepping on a nest, and I have pissed hornets off just getting remotely close to them. Having been to the ER 3x in the last two years following a fishing trip-I speak from experience.

Dave, I don't have any suggestions for your kit, other than maybe a magnifying glass. As my eyes get older, I find I need the magnification for various things, including removing splinters.

I have a couple comments as well.

1. Most experts now say that snake bite kits are not effective. Waste of money. Besides, how many of us have ever been bitten by a venomous snake.

2. The oil in poison ivy is water soluble. If you noticed you got into the stuff, wash the area right away with COLD water. Jewelweed also will help preventing poison ivy rash. It is quite common especially around the water so you don't have to carry it with you. Wash the area with cold water and then rub that stuff on. Some people rub it on before heading into areas with poison ivy as a preventative. One less thing to carry.

C. Note to self. Add one or two Benadryl to my water proof key chain pill bottle.

Dave true but I'm talking about when you are deep in, like WV when the nearest hospital is long off. In that case I would recommend trying. As I said, a rarity but it can happen and when you are that far off the beaten path, I would take it and try.

That said they are highly effective on bee stings.

nymphingmaniac wrote:
be mindful that H2O2 and antibacterial creams will have a greatly shortened half life in a hot car. Remove kits between trips and exchange sensitive components more often.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that - good note to change these items out frequently.

FarmerDave wrote:

2. The oil in poison ivy is water soluble. If you noticed you got into the stuff, wash the area right away with COLD water. Jewelweed also will help preventing poison ivy rash. It is quite common especially around the water so you don't have to carry it with you. Wash the area with cold water and then rub that stuff on. Some people rub it on before heading into areas with poison ivy as a preventative.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

I still have an old 1970s era snake-bite kit that still has a razor to make the "X" cuts over the fang wounds like they used to do in western movies. This has long since been discredited. I've even heard that the suction cups are pointless as well, although using a suction cup on a fresh bite makes sense to me.

Here in PA the likelyhood of a venomous snakebite is exceedingly remote. I do worry sometimes about dogs that accompany me on fishing trips. When I lived in west Texas and other parts of the South I paid a good bit more concern about snakes.

Dave_W wrote:
I still have an old 1970s era snake-bite kit that still has a razor to make the "X" cuts over the fang wounds like they used to do in western movies. This has long since been discredited. I've even heard that the suction cups are pointless as well, although using a suction cup on a fresh bite makes sense to me.

Here in PA the likelyhood of a venomous snakebite is exceedingly remote. I do worry sometimes about dogs that accompany me on fishing trips. When I lived in west Texas and other parts of the South I paid a good bit more concern about snakes.

Once the venom is in the blood stream, you aren't going to suck it back out. In fact, some experts claim it could make things worse by concentrating the poison at the injection site causing more tissue damage.

I have some doubts that the suction devised would be effective on bee stings. I could be wrong though, since that venom is barely under the skin. What I have found that actually seems to work, is smear mud on the sting. The mud seems to draw some of the venom out.

But if I am stung at home, I go straight to the house and take a Bendadyl. In fact, if I am going to be working on/in the hives, I sometimes take one beforehand.

I am developing a sensitivity to bee stings. I suppose it started after I got stung a couple dozen times one day. That day I just had a lot of swelling. The stings were all on my forearms, and I looked like Popeye the next day. The next time i got stung, it was on the neck, and got the full effect. Bee had gotten inside my suit. I felt a heat rush to my head immediately. I didn't get treatment right away, and ended up with all the signs of anaphylactic shock, except for no difficulty in breathing. Rash head to toe, felt warm all over, drop in pulse and BP... It was quite a rush.;-) 20 minutes later the signs were still persisting so I took a Benadryl and it cleared up.

Some people develop immunity to the stings, the more they get stung. Others develop more sensitivity to it. I unfortunately seem to be the latter. Ever since then, when I get stung, I swell up badly and can feel the other symptoms coming on. But Benadryl seems to greatly reduce the effect. I also keep a stick of Sting-eeze in my cupboard next to the Benadryl. The itch afterwards from a bee sting can be maddening, and scratching it just makes me swell up worse. But between the Benadryl and applying some Sting-eeze to the area, the sting ends up being no worse than a skeeter bite after 10 minutes or so.

So you might want to add a stick of Sting-eeze to your kit, or something similar. It works on other bug bites, too. At least it seems to for me.

Dave_W wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

2. The oil in poison ivy is water soluble. If you noticed you got into the stuff, wash the area right away with COLD water. Jewelweed also will help preventing poison ivy rash. It is quite common especially around the water so you don't have to carry it with you. Wash the area with cold water and then rub that stuff on. Some people rub it on before heading into areas with poison ivy as a preventative.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

I can't remember where I heard/read that about the cold water, but it made sense. I emphasize cold, because warm will open your pores.

You are standing in a cold stream anyway...

But I recommend that you take that with a grain of salt. I could just be (actually likely) that I am one of the lucky ones who isn't sensitive to poison ivy, but I don't want to test that theory by rolling around in it.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Dave true but I'm talking about when you are deep in, like WV when the nearest hospital is long off. In that case I would recommend trying. As I said, a rarity but it can happen and when you are that far off the beaten path, I would take it and try.

Probably can't hurt.

BTW, your argument above sure sounds like the conceal carry argument in another thread.

So, what are you afraid of. :p

Don't respond to that, it was just meant as a joke.

Spiders!

Answered it anyways :lol:

I've seen small kits at Gander or Dick's for upwards of $40.

Sam's has one about the size of a suitcase for about $20. Thing is just loaded with gloves, antiseptic, splints, you name it. From that I can make my own different sized kits, from Altoids tin sized on up. I'm about due for another one.

I usually have an altoids tin in my fly bag, a waterproof pouch in my backpack, and a pouch in my truck.

I've been wanting to do a blog post on this here is my setup:

I always carry a some sort of small first aid kit with me when fishing or even on short hikes. I do include a small whistle and waterproof matches, so it could kind of be considered to be a bit of a day survival kit too. It’s not too often I’m in locations or conditions that I like to think I couldn’t get out of in a few hours on my own.

Needless to say having a few items handy for those unexpected situations is good. Having them in a convenient container is even better. I have been using a small clear waterproof case that I found on Amazon. I actually can pack a fair amount in the case.

Waterproof Case - Witz Keep-It Cleaner
Whistle
Cash
Band aids
butterfly bandages
non-stick gauze pad
Alcohol swabs
Short pencil with medical tape wrapped around it
Safety pins
Benadryl
Ibuprofen
Water proof matches
Extra TP
Emergency contact phone number

Depending on the situation I’ll carry these extra items in my fly fishing vest.
Pocket knife
paracord
Compass
Emergency blanket
Headlamp (always have this for evening fishing anyway)

Back