Finally finished it.

R

Rkey530

Here are a few pics of my latest rod project. Its a Rainshadow RX7 9' 3wt 2pc. Mostly this was built to make flyfishing for panfish on reservoirs and lakes a little more sporting, though it'll probably end up doing some finesse fishing on larger rivers on occasion as well. The blank and components were a Christmas gift in 07', the build didn't start until March of 09' and its been a long 10 months for many reasons.

I finished installing the seat, grip, and 2 of the guides on the butt section before finding out the female ferrule was cracked. Thanks to all those who helped answer my question as to what to do regarding that. When it came down to it I used a Japanese flush cut back saw to trim about 5/8" off of the female ferrule to get above the crack. Then I brought the ferrule wrap extremely close to the edge and extended it about double what it should normally be and put a few extra coats of finish on it. Initially this seems to have worked.

The potential for complications with flexcoat regarding measuring and mixing have always bothered me. I've never once messed up, though the potential stresses me out. I just did not want to have that pressure on this particular rod so I decided to go with the Gudebrod #840 one part water based rod finish. I think it turned out nicely. I like the ease in cleanup and felt very comfortable using better quality brushes and think that helped in achieving the best finish I’ve managed on a rod thus far. My one reservation regarding the choice is that while flexcoat has proven itself to be durable for years and i've seen it last, I have no clue as to how the Gudebrod will hold up. Hopefully it holds up very well.

Questions, comments, and critique are all welcome.

Off to sew and embroider the rod sock.

Attachments

• wed,honeymoon,rod 399.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 399.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 14
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 403.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 403.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 4
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 410.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 410.jpg
    615.2 KB · Views: 4
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 415.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 415.jpg
    710 KB · Views: 5
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 404.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 404.jpg
    602.6 KB · Views: 6
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 416.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 416.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 6
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 418.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 418.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 5
  • wed,honeymoon,rod 422.jpg
    wed,honeymoon,rod 422.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 4
Good job.

Very nice!! What do you think of the Rainshadow blank? I saw a float rod for sale with the xst blank but I have no experience with them.
Thanks,

whheff,

I have built and own a few rainshodow/rainforest blanks and like them and would definately own more.

My pike rod (10' 10wt), which I hope to build in the next year or so may come from a rainshadow blank.

Thanks for all of the compliments :) This is my first rod on a Rainshadow blank and I've yet to actually cast it. Hopefully I'll get a chance towards the end of the week or the weekend to get out and I'll report back. A season or two ago I built a 9' 4wt 4pc for use on the beaverkill and willowemoc here in ny. I used an American Tackle Matrix blank (green) and really like the results. Great rod for dry fly presentations and light nymphing. I have a few freinds asking for me to make that or a smaller 3 wt for them from the matrix blanks. Initially, from wiggling it around, the finished rainshadow seems like it might be a bit heavy and slow. Though once i get a reel and some line on it that might all change.

You did a really nice job.

Congrats the rod looks great. Let us know how it fishes.

Didn't fish it today, did test cast it in a parking lot. Its a full flex rod thats slightly slow which is exactly what I wanted. Should protect tippets well and make fighting panfish quite fun. It'll lay out 50 feet with some effort, my freind who owns the fly shop got 65' or so out of it. He prefers a stiffer rod. I as well cast a 9'4 wt sage V something or other another guy just got. Damned smoothe rod that just doesn't seem to give up.

All of the rods we build and sell are rainshadow/rainforest blanks. After selling and using different rods for years, you can't beat these for performance and quility. Highly recommended.

Rkey,
That's a beauty. I'll admit taking much less care about wrapping details on the rods I build.

I've built some of the low price, 2 pc Rainshadow blanks over the years and have been very satisfied with them. However, to be sure, I'm not a stickler for the performance and feel of fly rods.

Nice job on your rod. The Rainshadow blanks are a great value and are always one of the most recommended blanks for rod building. Enjoy your new rod.

Nice work my question is what happens when your kid slams it in a car door.Ouchhhh!!!!!!!!!

Nice looking build. I've built several RX7's and they're a great blank for the price. If it helps, I have a couple rods from several years ago finished with the Gudebrod epoxy and they are holding up fine.

The Sage you cast is more accurately compared to Rainshadow's RX8+, a lighter, higher modulus graphite.

as far as the car door , make him mow the grass all summer while u fish and build another ...no biggy

Back