Field and Stream, Dont ever Buy!!!

StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin

AFter a 2 weeks of being miserable and probably causing permanent nerve damage to my foot, I decided to dig up the reciept and take my waders to the store. Dicks will not accept them because it is over 90 days, even though I bought a 1 year warranty from them!! I am in disbelief, and was told to contact field and stream, so then I did, and low and behold, no proof of purchase of the warranty and was told to return them to the store, so I went back to the store spoke some words with the manager and a no go.

Just another good reason to stay out of the big stores. I'm sure the local shop owner would make it right...........Dicks sux anyway......

The warranties that you buy as far as I know are through a sister company that you contact and they send you a gift card plus tax of what you paid for the product.
I've only ever heard of one customer that was not taken care of through them, and in that case, we did take care of them at store level.
Is that not the case of Dicks warranty purchase program?

I won't buy from Dick's.

I don't understand. if you bought the extended warranty from dicks when you bought the waders and you have the original receipt, shouldn't the receipt show proof you bought the extended warranty?

are they hippers, waisties or chesties?

im in the market for a pair of waisties. chesties are a pain for a quick fishing session

breathable chest, i wouldnt recomend wasties right now or in the spring to high of flows and you become miserable when wet after dark and just end up changing. and yes weenie thats what i said i called and said "hi i have chest waders that i bought i need to file a warranty claim on" she said ok, did you file the warranty with us and i said yes i did when bought them at dicks, she siad did you send them in? i said to where? thats why im calling where do i send them to to get a new pair returned? she said take them to the store they will return them i said not after 90 days im told to call you she said well we cant do anything . i am legitamately thinking she didnt know what she was talking about im going to try and call later today after class. i am so fed up i am ready to just walk in put on a new pair and give every camera in the store the bird as i walk out!!! sorry enough of my rant im just so fed up, its like jumping through hoops and every time i take a step they just put me back two!! and i found this out, i didnt buy a warranty on the product, it came with it, the waders were 119.98 and the other product on the reciept was line cleaner when i first looked at it i thought it was a warranty plan, but its not. i dont know why they cant do this when they scan the reciept and the tags nothing comes up im really just baffled.

And I am out of breath. Whew...

Somethings not right. Waders generally dont come with a warranty unless you sink serious money into them. Theres just too many variables of how they can begin leaking that have nothing to do with defects.
Retailers begin losing money on them because they return them at store level as defective, and the manufacturer wont issue the retailer credit on them because they are dry rotted, torn by barbed wire, soles burnt from being held by the fire to warm up, the list goes on and on really.
I'm not quite sure of the issue? They hurt your feet? You've had them for over 3 months?

they look, the seam where the neoprene connects the breathable material has a hole, it tried to aquaseal it but a no go. and yes they have a warranty and its not the first time they have been replaced my first pair leaked after 3 weeks and i just returned them at the store, and made sure the warranty renewed then. oh well orvis has all my business now

We live and we learn... sounds like your going to purchase Orvis waders now or some other quality comparable wader. Waders are like car tires... you can purchase cheap tires but your ride is going to be bumpy, noisy, the steering wheel will pull to one side and generally make your drive miserable. Heck, those tires will get you from point A to point B but its not going to be fun.

Fly fishing and wading can be so much more enjoyable when your waders don't leak, keep you warm and fit properly. Granted its not always about the price but you get what you pay for.

As I see it my body is a temple and I only adorn myself with the finest wading fabrics.

I am not sticking up for dicks. I really do not care for the store, but when I worked for them during a break from college, I sold lots of field and stream waders and not one of them had a 1 year warranty. They all came with a 90 day in store replacement program, and after that there is no replacement. First you said you bought a 1 year warranty, then you said it came with it. Which was it? Like squaretail said, no wader that someone pays 120 for will come with a warranty(other than llbean).

I have a very personal connection with Dick's Sporting Goods and I will tell you those waders suck. I owned a pair for a month(first pair of waders) and they leaked along the inside seam--both legs. Took them back and they were replaced no questions asked. Second pair lasted maybe 2-3 months before the seams leaked again. Those waders just suck, plain and simple. I think your problem is with the product and not the company.

I second the other opinions on purchasing the higher end waders. They fit better, last longer, and they keep you dry.

I'd like to jump on the Dick's bashing bandwagon as well! :)
Last year I purchased an out of state annual Delaware license in the store. It's only $26 or so with the stamp. I paid for and got a receipt for the annual license and stamp.
They print out a license and I leave the store. A month later I am fishing on the Brandywine, officer asks for license and it turns out I got a 7 day license and received a $50 ticket.
I took my license and receipt back to Dick's and ask either for a refund for the difference in price, or for them to print up a new annual license for me. I thought that was a reasonable deal, I consider it my fault for not checking that the license was correct before I left. They thought otherwise and said they couldn't and wouldn't do anything. Attempts to contact corporate just resulted in them referring me back to the store, and ultimately a cold shoulder.
All over either a $10 refund, or twenty something dollar license. So on stubborn principal I avoid those places like the plague now.

With all that being said, I got an awesome deal on a pair of Simm's waders from the nearest local fly shop after Christmas :)

Jabink, exactly, bought a 1 year warranty, no i didn't it came with one but Dick's won't honor it and the women at the mfg. was confused and couldn't help me.

So the question is do you know exactly what do you have?

I've once bought a pair of hip boots from Dick's ($24) and they came with a 30 day warranty and the boot sole peeled off on about day 25. They replaced them with no quetions asked. I have never seen a huge chain store not honor a warranty if they are the return point. And i have never seen a mfg. not honor their warranty unless the damage was caused clearly by abuse or the claim was being made outside of the warranty period.

All my waders leaked until I bit the bullet and bought Simms.

I'm on my fifth year with my Simms "Headwaters" waist highs. They have not leaked yet. Simms are well made no doubt.

Sorry for your situation Marvin. I work for one of the big boxes, not Dicks however. To be honest, flyfishing is one of the smallest pieces of profit pie in these kind of places and seem to be shrinking in all the stores.
As far as your purchased warranty goes, once you use them thats it. Its over. However you may purchase a new warranty on your replaced waders for the cost of the warranty alone. I wasnt there but thats what should have happened.
Only other thing I can think of is you possibly got your original reciept and then your return reciept from Dicks mixed up? You would need original or both.
Hate to see ya leave $120.00 out there, and I know those plans work with precious few exceptions.

If you go with upper echelon waders, absolutely good for you. Only drawback is how long sometimes you have to wait for your replacements to arrive.
Thanks for not changing your avatar. I like that brookie alot better. :)

haha thanks, that was a just a joke. i bought ll beans that are $200 with a lifetime warranty so hopefully they work!!

Back