Fenwick Fiberglass Fans

WildTigerTrout

WildTigerTrout

Ok, all you Fenwick fans I would like some info on the following flyrod I recently aquired. The rod is BRAND NEW still in the plastic bag with the instruction and guarantee card and never been fished. It is a Fenwick "FF70 "Feralite" 7 foot rated for #6 line. It weighs 3 oz. and made in the USA serial # J 30993. Standard Fenwick translucent amber blank with dark brown wraps with white and white/black highlights. The reel seat is gold metal with the Fenwick logo stamped into it. The reelseat is highlighted by bronze colored downlocking hardware. Any ideas about how old it may be or value? Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. WTT

Here's a pretty good source on identifying the different generations of Fenwick glass. http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182977/Fenwick

If what you have is indeed a "FF70" and not an "FF706", the rod may very well be close to or in excess of 50 years old.

I have no idea what it might be worth...

RLeep2 it is indeed a FF70 and brand new/unfished. I did a little research and it seems it came with a sock and metal tube. Those are both lost to history but the rod is new and looks it! AMAZING! Thanks for the info. WTT

i have a
ff806 with a serial number M222147 that I bought around 1977, If that helps

More research done. The rod is a first generation "Feralite" and judging from the serial number I have narrowed the manufacture date to either 1968 or 69. I am going to lawn cast it this afternoon and see how it handles different line weights. The rod seems whippy from the tip down to about half the rod length, then it gets more stiff.

I'll give Ya ten bucks fer it. ;)

1969-1970 year of manufacturer. worth around 75.00 to 125.00 without sock and tube. will cast a 5 wt. nice. I have quite a few fenwicks and other glass rods.

I was given an FF75 by a friend. I've played with it a few times. So many rods, so little time.

My research led me to this post that I found interesting..

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182977/Fenwick

Enjoy.

sandfly wrote:
1969-1970 year of manufacturer. worth around 75.00 to 125.00 without sock and tube. will cast a 5 wt. nice. I have quite a few fenwicks and other glass rods.
Thanks, I will try a 5wt line.

I'm in the Fenwick fan club. I have an FF856. Its a nice all-around workhorse. I'm hoping to try some sink tips and rabbit strips on it this Spring.

Back