FYI: Cabelas Wading Boots Sale

O

outsider

Cabela's has their Ultra Light wading boots on sale for $49.97. I bought a pair for my son and me. The seem to run a bit smaller than when I bought them about 10 years ago.

I bought a pair as well as a back up for my regular Korkers. If they are as durable as the older models of the same shoe, it's a great price.

One sour note about the entire transaction...

The shoes arrived with the box dinged up and the small envelope with the cleats breached. Hence, I only was able to recoup 21 of the 28 cleats. The other 7 are in the wind somewhere. So I wrote to Cabela's and asked them to send me a handful of cleats to make up the difference. They wrote back and said I'd have to go through the entire return authorization song and dance, shoes and all. I told them no thanks and that I was disappointed and they didn't act much like the same Cabela's I had been doing business with for 40-plus years. Then, I drove over to FishUSA and bought a set of the Chota replacement cleats (same cleat) for $6.00.

I'll still be a Cabela's customer, but I think this Bass Pro merger thing has changed them and not necessarily for the better..

I bought quite a lot of stuff from Cabela's over the past dozen or so years. Hunting equipment, fishing equipment, kayaks, etc. Never had an issue with returning items. Last May I bought a fly rod on close-out for my son. In September the tip broke while my son was playing a fish. They gave my money back no questions asked, and payed for the return shipping costs.

Just bought these boots and tried them out today. Gad i ordered a size larger than what I normally wear, if I hadn't i think they would have been too tight with wool socks

I think i missed it, was gonna grab a pair but they are back to full price :(

re "seem to run a bit smaller than when I bought them about 10 years ago." - a doctor friend told me that it is normal for your feet to grow a size as you age (and use your feet). The ligaments stretch as you get older. If you are prone to use Crocs, sandals, shoes with little support, this tendency increases. So it makes sense to go up a size or so when buying new wading boots.

lestrout wrote:
re "seem to run a bit smaller than when I bought them about 10 years ago." - a doctor friend told me that it is normal for your feet to grow a size as you age (and use your feet). The ligaments stretch as you get older. If you are prone to use Crocs, sandals, shoes with little support, this tendency increases. So it makes sense to go up a size or so when buying new wading boots.

In my case that is true. Mine grew 1/2 size larger since I last bought the same boots. But My 29 year old son still has the same foot size (11 1/2) that he had 5 years ago when I bought his Cabela's Ultra Light boots. Back then, I bought size 13 for him. This time I bought size 14 for him. And they fit perfectly.

Cabela's wading boot sizing may very well have changed.

Different manufacturers and models of boots fit differently.

Also the bulkiness of socks worn are a factor too.

But the one observation I have had when fitting many wading boots to many people is the size difference of the wader booties is a big factor for fit.

For example if your wading boot size rating states it fits a size 10-12, and your foot is a size 10, you are essentially wearing a size 12 booties on your size 10 foot. The extra material of the booties will most likely cause you to go up a size in boot to accommodate the excess material from the booties.

Conversely. with the same waders if you are a size 12, and the booties are sized perfectly, you likely will fit into size 12 wading boots.

The universal rule for wading, hiking or work boots > all things being equal, err on the side of a little too big rather than a little too small because during strenuous activities feet may swell.

Back