Erie Gloves

bobbymo

bobbymo

Does anybody have any good suggestions on a slim pair of gloves to keep your hands warm while fishing the Erie tribs? I have a set of Simms with the flip down mitten part and cutoff fingers. They do well keeping my hands warm but are a bit bulky. Just thought I would see if anyone has found good fishing gloves that keep your hands warm and aren't super bulky.

Rag wool is the best. I mostly use the cheap jersey gloves and cut the fingers the way I like. I keep 2 pairs when i get wet i just switch em out.

^that and also I have some fleece-ish type fingerless ones that I got from Bass Pro that were about 5 bucks a pair. They keep my hands warm up in Pulaski, so they should be fine in Erie.

They even worked well after I feel into the river, just ask jdaddy.

fingerless Rams wool.
For sub 40 deg. and windy, an old trick is to wear a pair of latex gloves underneath wool or fleece. The reasoning behind this is that once your hands and fingers become wet, the effects of evaporative cooling will zap any warmth held beneath your skin rather quickly. Latex/surgical gloves tear easily. So, you'd need to carry a few extra pairs. Dry = Warm.

+1000 on the rag wool for when it's REALLY cold. Sometimes my hands sweat they're so warm in those.

I buy a cheap pair of gloves from the dollar store and cut the fingers off for the "not too cold, but my hands are a bit chilly" days.

Dano is dead on with the latex recommendation. I've heard that quite a bit. Nitrile from Harbor Freight would be more durable though.

You took a nice dip for sure, however it was very, very decent weather that day. I believe that fleece would have been a problem in really cold weather.

I like the plain Simms medium weight fingerless gloves.

They are warm, even when damp and are easy to ring out when they get wet. Both of these features together you don't get with non-fleece gloves.

They also give you a good grip when tailing large fish.

Mine have held up great for more than five years now.

I have never thought I needed to go to the heavier convertible ones like you have.

Shock

Nice thing about polar fleece is that it dries faster than wool
..squeeze em out if they get wet hang em out in the air and they dry quick,wool is also great too but wool poly propylene mix fingerless gloves are even better they wick away and water tends to be gone faster.

I like fingerless, wool gloves with the rubber grip nubs. I bought my current pair at Poor Richards in Erie.

the best pair of gloves that i have found are green wool army gloves. you can buy a pack of a dozen or so at the army surplus store for super cheap. they work great for late season rabbit hunting, ice fishing, and fly fishing.
you can also take an apprentice along to tie your flies on and take your fish off when it is cold! they can carry the beer also.

Dear Board,

For Winter fishing it's Glacier Gloves - the neoprene ones.

Put them on your hands when the gloves are warm and your hands will never get cold nor will they get wet. Just toss them on your defroster vent for 2 minutes before you leave the vehcile to fish and you are good to go.

They will not absorb water or fish slime. Better yet, they are less bulky than any other gloves and because of that you have much better dexterity for tying on flies, rebuilding leaders, puttin' in a dip, you name it.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back