Dry fly box

MattM

MattM

What is your favorite dry fly box? Brand, style, size etc. Need a new one, trying to get organized and think I've been doing this all wrong for years.

A small one.

I have been trying to pair down the stuff i carry when fishing. If there is space you have a natural tendency to fill it. Keep it simple and you will have a better time IMO. I have started carrying two small boxes. One dries and one for nymphs. I switch flies out as i need them and depending on the stream i am going to fish.

Fly boxes are not too heavy and/or bulky. There are a lot of styles to choose from out there. The tacky boxes are great, but expensive. I would pick up two medium-sized slit foam boxes and use one for dries and one for nymphs and streamers. I'm not sure if you use a vest or some type of pack. It is helpful to bring it with you when buying a fly box(s) to check if they fit in you packets or pack.

Probably not a popular choice but I carry a few Plano 3448 60s in my vest. I use those for pretty much anything besides streamers. In the boat I use a larger plano box. I never could find a fly box I liked so I gave up trying. I'm not the most organized.

I am a fan of clear double sided waterproof boxes. You can see what fly you want to select. If you happen to drop the box in the water (closed of course) you prevent the hooks from rust. There are many sizes available. Whatever you select, attach a couple of return address labels (one inside and one outside) in case it is lost. You may be fortunate if a good Samaratin finds your lost box.

I like old style compartment boxes, made of clear plastic.
Easy to see what you've got. And hackles don't get messed up.

Most of mine are from FFP in state college - DeWitt is the brand name.
Very reasonably priced too.

I’m a fan of Anglers Image Ultra Thin with magnets. I have 3. One each for midges, wets, and nymphs. Together, I doubt they are an inch thick. I keep my dries and streamers in my 4 drawer Richardson. For chasing brookies, I have a 6 compartment Wheatley style Okuma that fits perfectly in a shirt pocket.

I still have the C&F boxes for my dry flies. I don't even see them anymore. They were top of the line 10 years ago. One of the few waterproof boxes at the time. I like how they don't smash my hackle down.

I like the aluminum boxes with the flip open compartments for dries. Doesn't crush hackles and can throw a few flies in each compartment. You always need more boxes though because you always need more flies.

I like these:

http://waterswest.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=152_161&products_id=734&zenid=9fb218f4b4b1abceb8d7ffab2452d881

Pretty cheap with individual compartments. Most fly shops have them with their own logos on them so that link is not the only place you can get them. Not good for anything but dries as anything tiny like midges or nymphs will fall out around the edges of the individual flip tops.

I just purchased a myrian box with separate compartments. I have not used it yet on the water, but I like it so far. Plenty of room and light in hand. Cost was 10.95 and they come in different sizes.

I've always liked Dewitt boxes.

Back