Dry Fly Rod

T

tracker12

I usually nymph fish but after this past weekend on the LJ I want to start doing more dry fly fishing. With that I looking to pick up a new rod. Any suggestions for a mid level rod. I fished a TFO 9' 5wt this weekend that was not bad.

Any advice would likely hinge on what kind of action you like, size of waters you fish, and size flies.

Hard to beat a Winston rod. Charlie at mayflyoutfitters.com is a wealth of information when it comes to Winston.

It depends on the size of the water I fish.
I use a 9' 5 weight on large streams like the yough or delaware rivers.
On medium size water - little j or penns - I like a 8' 6" 4 weight.
On small streams, I use something 7' 6" to 7'9" in length, and 2 - 4 weight size

There is no need to buy a "dry fly rod."

A 9 ft 5 wt works well for both nymphing and dry fly fishing. And wet fly fishing. And streamer fishing.

troutbert
That's true but I need an excuse to buy a new rod:)

I also acquired a fly rod "aimed" for dry fly fishing this winter, I wouldn't consider it mid price, but the G-Loomis NRX LP really has been fantastic. I made my decision after it seeing it win the YS Shootout multiple times now, and just went with the 9' 4wt. Plenty of info regarding this rod on their site.
I'd also consider Orviss new Carbon, I test casted it at TCO grand opening it was excellent, Likely gonna be my next mid-priced rod :)

If you are looking used (and assuming mid level is 2-300, I've cast and would recommend the following:

Sage: RPL, SP (I haven't cast many other sages, but I'd say almost any Sage in graphite II or III 590 size would be nice) The XP 590 is a great rod but I wouldn't want it for a dry fly specific rod.

Thomas and Thomas: XL905

Scott: G905, Eclipse 905, any A series 905,

St Croix: Legend 905

I have to add my 2 cents here. There are no "dry fly" rods or line weights. You would be better off taking into consideration what the average size fly you'd be using is, what the water size and conditions are like (wind), and knowing what kind of action you like.

Someone can say a 3wt is a dry fly rod, but good luck casting a stimulator with it (while using an average size leader). A dry fly rod for a big windy river and stoneflies is likely not the same as one for a small flat spring creek and midges.

My first "good rod purchase" was a Sage ZXL and was an 8'6 3 weight... I will never buy another rod under 9'0 again. Unless your on tight-tight water why would anyone want an 8'6 rod? The longer the rod, the more water you can reach and the less the cross current screws your drift; not to mention you want to use a longer leader dry fly fishing and when your reeling in a fish I personally don't like my mono to bust through my top eye... Its all about preferences though. The action is the key like someone previously said.

* Also I have 4 Sage Rods (yet to pay full price for one) < they are not worth their retail value. But they all seem to be geared toward dry fly fishing even the rods that aren't "dry fly rods".

First off I think any fly rod should match the flies you are throwing, rather than the fish you are catching (for the most part). The line, leader and fly are what you are needing the rod to do all the work for, less the occasional fish you hook.

I have several "dry fly rods". Depending on what size stream I'm fishing I may need to cast farther or toss bigger bugs. I like a little more action in my dry fly rod so I can feel the rod load, take my time, and target those rising fish. I feel fast action rods don't give you that advantage. Dry fly fishing is accuracy and being delicate, not chucking as much line as you can as quick as you can.

I'm confused on how you would have trouble casting a stimulator on a 3wt?

Shaner wrote:
Depends on how big the stimulator is. A small one(12 to 14) would work just fine. But IMO a big, bushy one like a size 8 or 10 would cast better with a 4 or 5 weight.

ryguyfi wrote:
First off I think any fly rod should match the flies you are throwing, rather than the fish you are catching (for the most part). The line, leader and fly are what you are needing the rod to do all the work for, less the occasional fish you hook.

Amen, one thing I would add is how much mending you might need to be doing, the longer the rod the easier it is to control your line.

Look for a used Winston IM6/WT you will not be sorry. It will be in the $250-350 price range.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Shaner wrote:
Depends on how big the stimulator is. A small one(12 to 14) would work just fine. But IMO a big, bushy one like a size 8 or 10 would cast better with a 4 or 5 weight.

I throw a lot of big stimmys on the river and even casting my 5wt can be tiring, especially with a good breeze blowing.

I bought a G. Loomis Light Presentation Pro4x in 8'6" 4wt not too long ago. It's perfect for all your common PA trout dry flies and a small tandem nymph rig. Great action and it casts really nice. Way better than my Orvis Clearwater. I can lightly present a 16 dry fly further out there than I can see it. The length hasn't been a issue but I'm not fishing big rivers. I can't see how 6" or a foot is going to make much of a difference in mending if you're casting a dry across cross currents on a big river. But I'm sure it all comes down to preference in the end.

Someone just told me fly fishing is like golf. There's no perfect rod for every situation, just like golf clubs. Made sense to me. Good luck on adding a new one.

CRB wrote:
Look for a used Winston IM6/WT you will not be sorry. It will be in the $250-350 price range.

^^This.

I bought a new Winston WT 8' 4-weight in a 3-piece setup a few years back as a tax return splurge. I own no other that comes even close for fine presentation/dry fly fishing. If you can score one used for about what CRB stated, you've got a winner.

8'6" 4wt can be a pretty slick length and weight. I have a Scott Radian in that size and it would definitely be my one rod if I could only have one.

I think anyone interested in this thread, dry day rods, would benefit greatly from reading interviews with Tom Morgan, arguably Winston's most influential owner in terms of where the company is now, in particular their graphite. He has interesting takes on lengths of rods and how length contributes to presentation of dries.

Back