Do you recommend fly "kits" or purchasing flies seperately?

M

mgh-pa

Am I better off (I'm new to this remember) purchasing flies in a kit (like 25-50pc) or purchasing patterns individually?

I'd say the kit is probably cheaper. You might get more for less, however, you might not get all the flies you want though. Have you considered tying? THat is ultimately the cheapest route to go.

I will most likely eventually tie, but not now. I don't have the time to learn. Probably next winter once the wedding is over and we're settled into the house.

I was looking at this kit that came recommended when I added my rod setup into the cart at Cabelas. What do you think?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/readonly-item.jsp?id=311707&podId=0051114&productId=0051114320386a&itemTemplate=item-added&cmCat=null&hasJS=true

Or what about this?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat380002_TGP&id=0010919310308a&navCount=2&podId=0010919&parentId=cat380002&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

You're certainly better off buying flies individually rather than getting a fly kit. It's hard to tell from the links you provided, but I would guess you probably would end up wasting money on flies you'll never need/use. Also, those kits come down to about a $1 a fly, there are cheaper sources out there were you can get flies for $.50 each.

I agree with Jason. There are good kits out there, especially ones meant to cover you for an individual hatch. If you're starting from scratch, not a bad idea at all. Like now, if I didn't have any BWO's of any type, I'd consider a BWO kit, with nymphs, emergers, and duns of the same insect.

However, most kits claim to give you everything you need as a trout fishermen, 2 of this, 2 of that. Not a good idea. You end up with 2 or three patterns you'll actually use and a bunch of stuff you'll never use. And of course of that pattern you will use, you lose both flies in an hour and are just left with the crap. I still have salmon flies in my box from buying one of those kits. Unless I make a trip to Montana, I don't foresee ever taking them out of the box.

Here's the secret. Based on stream and time of year, you can predict what flies you'll use to a 95% accuracy. Get a few generics, like buggers, egg flies, greenweenie, walts worm, scud, etc. But other than that, if you're going to stream x in month y, look at a hatch chart, decide what flies you'll need, and buy a half dozen each of that nymph, dry, and emerger. Whatever you don't use is a start for next year, you'll be back. Then the next stream or time of year comes along, and you get a collection of a new bug. After a season, you have a collection of all the bugs you normally fish, and all you gotta do is replace lost flies.

If I had a local fly shop, I'd go there. I bought a lot of kits stating out and ended up with a lot of unneaded flies. I also can speak for the cabelas flies.....I think they are average quality at best. The hooks often leave something to be desired.

I agree, buy flies individually. If you really want to get into fly fishing, try and take a fly tying class. I did and basically tie what I want and what I fish with. Plus, tying helps with the winter fever season when or if you can't get out and fish. Sometimes I will buy 1 fly and use it as a model and tie my own. There are clubs and videos out there that can help you get started. Also look in your area for maybe a trout club that offers a fly tying class or fly shop that may offer one. Good luck!

Mgh,
For our area, I would consider making a phone call to the following:

-E Hille Angler's Supply House - Williamsport/Jersey Shore Area
-Sandfly/Big Meadows Fly Shop - Wellsboro/Tioga/Potter County Area
-Fly Fisherman's Paradise - State College Area

I agree with Ohio & Blackfly buy individually. I got a kit, and ended up just using the vise.

Start with a simple, but effective fly, the Wooly Bugger. Get yourself some mustad hooks and two colors of chenelle(black & olive) and some matching bugger hackle and maribou. Don't forget the black tying thread, get the heavy stuff to start with. Provided that you have a vise and bobbin, you can get away with spending less than $40 for 50 flies.

Once you feel comfortable with the bugger pattern, move on to some basic nymph patterns. Such as a Pheasant tail or Hare's ear, get the material you need and tie until you feel you have the pattern down. Then move onto dry flys such as the Royal Wullf and Elkhair Caddis.

JH

PS.. Check out the Fly Tying Forum.

Don't buy anything that you don't have to. Heck I'll send you a cheap vise no postage due. For this free advice don't buy anything.

First. What do you want to fish for?

Simple enough question. That will narrow it down about $$$$$$.

Wow, thanks for the great advice (and great offer wetnet). I KNOW I'm going to want to learn to tie. I'm like that with Archery. I have to learn and do everything to my bow. I'm well on my way to having a full blown archery shop at my house :-D

Anyways, I'm going to be fishing mostly for trout, but in the summer I would like to hit the Loyalsock for smallies. It's looking as if right now I may get by with borrowing my Uncle's rod(s) to start out with which is good. If that's the case, I may invest in some tying materials, but I really don't even know where to begin or how to tie anything. I don't even know much of the terminology. Is my best bet to just stop at the local flyshop and go from there, or can you learn on your own from the internet?

mgh-pa

A good local shop will help you out. I don't mean Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. Those places have fine stuff but you kinda gotta know what you want, they're not going to help you out much.

As far as tools, you absolutely need a vice, bobbin, bobbin threader, a good pair of tying scissors, and a whip finisher. The vice is most expensive, if you get a good one. The cheapo ones are fine for a beginner, though. Don't try to do the super-small sizes on them, and you'll occasionally fling a hook across the room, so be in a room where the wife won't have a fit.

You can buy a video, or manual, on the basics of tying. Make sure you don't get something too advanced. Just something to teach you absolute basics. After that, a lot of practice to learn thread control, and a lot of advice from knowledgable people like you'll find on this board.

SoYoCoTransplant wrote:
Mgh,
For our area, I would consider making a phone call to the following:

-E Hille Angler's Supply House - Williamsport/Jersey Shore Area
-Sandfly/Big Meadows Fly Shop - Wellsboro/Tioga/Potter County Area
-Fly Fisherman's Paradise - State College Area

I'm sure a local shop would make up a custom set for the streams you intend to target. Buy a couple extra and use them as samples once you get into tying.

Back