Decent Line

zenherper

zenherper

I am looking to get a floating 4 wt. WF line. Since I don't know enough to know the difference between a good line and bad one, do you have any recommendations on a good line for a decent price?

Call Cabelas and see if they have 4wt Redington Reach line in a 4wt. $15 seems like it would be worth a shot.

jdaddy wrote:
Call Cabelas and see if they have 4wt Redington Reach line in a 4wt. $15 seems like it would be worth a shot.

I did see that while I was searching the internet, but I wasn't sure of the quality. I don't know what makes a $15 line different from a $40 line. I am not necessarily looking for something cheap, just the best "bang for my buck."

Sprawlmart, Cortland 333 for $20.

-or- Cabela's house brand, whatever the one with Hyperglide is, $30.

-or- the LL Bean in Center Valley, SA's Mastery on sale for $40.

-or- Hook and Hackle's Peach for..err, $25?

TimMurphy just had a thread looking for a budget line. I highly suggest you look for it. It was good.

post script: buy a dual taper line, flip it around at the end of the year and get a fresh line for next year without one. ok, my biases are done here.

One thing that gfen didn't mention that you may want to factor in...

While spending some time at a local fly shop talking with a certified master casting instructor, we got into a discussion of lines. Specifically, DT vs WF. I argued that the DT gives you twice the life by being able to flip it around. The gentleman at the fly shop agreed but wanted to point out one other thing that I didn't even consider.

If you have a modern fly rod, the line rating is based on a WF in order for the line to make the rod function as intended. If you will be fishing small brushy streams or making shorter casts, you may not notice much of a difference. When making medium to longer casts, you should notice a difference in performance. Just some food for thought.

Taper is generally the same for the first half of a DT line as a WF line. If you're not tossing much beyond that 30ish feet, DT is where you're at.

But, its a valid view point. If you're made of money like Mr. Hertzer!

Seriously, the only reason I threw out my bias is its a 4wt rod and he's fresh. Either way works for me.

(also, Sprawlmart's Cortland WF lines are $13, if you gotta have it now)

Thank you for all of your input. You make some good points. Actually, the reason I am getting the WF line is because I have a DT on right now and I wanted to try to see if I can tell the difference in casting, just to get a feel for it. Then, I will be able to decide if I like one over the other and at worse, I have an extra line.

Has anybody seen these on ebay for $9.99?
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Fly-Line-Made-A-R-E-Here-WF-4-F-/390294969485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adf649c8d

Never seen that one. I'll agree with gfen that if you want to keep it fairly cheap, the hook and hackle stuff for $25 is a decent deal and I understand that it's made by Cortland.

I got one of those cheap wonderlines when they were on sale and the finish came off after a few outings.

I had a Cabela's Hyperglide and do not hink it delivers much bang for the buck.

Try a line from paflyfish sponser Allen Flyfishing ,I personally don't have one but I have heard good reports from other people

Back