Daylight savings time..... turn your reels back

krayfish2

krayfish2

Winterizing gear for the off season. For disc drag reels, not a bad idea to back off the drag while in storage. I'll also clean lines, coat and store in basement.

Time to check and see if your snow blower will start for the first storm of the year......right after sneaking in another round of golf!

good thoughts from kray, including: ". For disc drag reels, not a bad idea to back off the drag while in storage. " -

actually, to avoid compression induced flat spots in the drag systems, I routinely back off the drag setting when I am done with a reel for the day. I even back off the drags on reels on the racks in stores.

(Never say I haven't given back to the sport) :p

I recently read an article in a a magazine that gave tips for winter storage of fly fishing gear.
For storing fly lines, the author recommends - after cleaning thoroughly with soap and water - taking the line off of the reel, and wrapping it around a metal coat hanger. That is accomplished by bending little indentations in the vertical ends of it, and wrapping the line loosely around those (Keeps it from falling off)
Supposed to reduce memory coiling for next season
It sounds like a pretty good idea to me, and I've already tried in on one of my lines

When storing lines don't for get to attach a little tag with the line weight on it.

Back