DIY question for the rod builders

jay348

jay348

OK so I just noticed this the other day...A piece of my reel seat (is that the correct part?) is missing/fell off somewhere. No clue what happened.

Is this something I can fix myself? Or should I just go through the company? Rod is a fenwick hmg from the 90s, if that helps. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• rod.jpg
    rod.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 12
If you can't find the lost butt, I'm sure you can find one online like here:(http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building/Butt-Caps-Gimbals)
Get some 2 part glue and your all set. Don't use super glue, it won't hold up to temp changes.

Pretty sure you need a butt cap for a Pacific Bay or American Tackle U3 style reel seat. Try asking on buildingforum.com and see if anyone has an extra cap they'll part with. Your other option is to buy a whole new seat. I have a few extras myself but they are black finished.

It's just a matter of gluing the cap on with 5 min epoxy.

Kev

epoxy a nickel in the bottom. move on with your life.

Awesome, thanks for the advice...seems simple enough. I mostly just didn't even know what the part looked like that I needed to replace.

gfen wrote:
epoxy a nickel in the bottom. move on with your life.

Cmon...a fighting butt would be pretty cool for my gemmie fishing.

I have nickels available for this purpose: $0.10 plus shipping and handling.

yeah add a nickel that will keep its worth !

jay348 wrote:
Cmon...a fighting butt would be pretty cool for my gemmie fishing.

Oh, for the gemmies? Just glue a second rod in there to make it an 18' two hander. You need all the leverage you can get for 4" broke trouts (ST).

Back