Cork Handle Repair

tjsingle

tjsingle

Hey guys-

I have a 6'-6" Phillipson 4wt fiberglass rod, I use it primarily to fish smaller streams. From using it recently, I noticed that the cork handle has cracked due to the age of the cork and I think the action of the rod also makes the problem worse with the brittle cork. I went to fix the crack on the handle with Titebond III wood glue, and it ended up fixing the first crack and making a second one 1/4" down due to the stiffness of the glue versus the flexibility of the rod...

Aside from getting the handle replaced and the rod rewrapped, what else can i do?

Thanks,
Tom

Can you post pictures of this cracking?

What condition is the rod in otherwise? The condition of the guides and threadwraps would play a big part in my decision on whether to rewrap or not. If the rods showing its age, a rewrap might be the most practical thing to do. On the otherhand if it's is in very good condition a more difficult repair might be warrranted.

You can see the new crack directly below the crack that was glued.

Wraps are in perfect condition

I've repaired some cracks in cork handles by mixing cork dust(grind up some wine corks) with glue and filling the cracks, then sanding them smooth when dry. Afterwards, you can try a cork sealing product to try to prolong the life of the handle.
Handles CAN be replaced from the bottom up, but it can be a tricky thing to do depending on how thick the front part of the handle is, some cigar grips can get awful thin when reamed out to fit a glass rod. Also, I've heard of just replacing sections of the handle, gluing on split cork rings to replace the bad sections, and sanding them to match the existing handle, but I've never done this myself.
If that were my rod, I would try the glue and cork dust repair, rest of the rod looks sweet!

One could purchase a few cork rings. Cut the bad cork out and splice in a new piece or two. Glue up with epoxy and sand back to mach the rest of the handle.

I've read about patches made by mixing cork or saw dust with wood glue and then sanding it down. Since the wood glue makes a firm / hard final product. Anyone every try mixing cork dust with a more flexible glue or silicone adhesive product? Wondering if it would work or if the flexibility would make the repair last a little longer.

Great rod!!

I've used Elmers wood filler in "Golden oak" color for filling cork grips.

Wet the cork a bit for better adhesion and apply in the void(s). Begin sanding it down before it is completely dry. The cork dust will mix with the filler during sanding when it's not completely dry, making the filler blend in with the rest of the grip.

Use progressively finer grit sandpaper until you get a very smooth surface (like a babies behind). :oops:

CRB wrote:
One could purchase a few cork rings. Cut the bad cork out and splice in a new piece or two. Glue up with epoxy and sand back to mach the rest of the handle.

^I think this is the only viable long-term repair short of removing the entire grip. Results will be durable and barely noticeable if done well. The trick to it is that the replaced cork must be tight against existing cork.

Filling the cracks with a wood filler or cork mix may produce a good looking result but I would wager that it will crack again the same way that it has already. Fillers are not as strong as tightly fit, epoxied cork.

Kev

I've replaced cork grips on lesser vintage rods with nice wraps by removing the seat and working from the bottom up. I've also repaired minor cork sections while still on the rod. But your rod has a nice cork reel seat that should not be removed AND nice wraps that should be retained and is a really desirable rod and has already been repaired once.

Here's what I'd suggest ..... if you're not already, subscribe to http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ and post a message in the ' Rod building and Tinkering' section. Some of the members very capable professionals who can perform a cork repair / replace that your rod deserves.

There are UV cure resins out there that have some flexibility. They sell it for wader repair. Either way I would fill it with something or replace the entire grip. There's no way your going to piece a cork ring in there and have it look better then simply filling it. It already cracked wear it bends so it might just be fine.

Filler is just not strong enough. Use the sanding dust and mix it with the epoxy. Keep the joints tight when fitting the new cork. It really is not a difficult repair. Other wise your going to need a new reel seat and cork handle.
The most difficult part of the repair is the first cut.

poopdeck wrote:
There's no way your going to piece a cork ring in there and have it look better then simply filling it.

Yes. It can be done.

It is not a repair for someone without experience working with cork grips, but it can most certainly be done. Cork can be cut very cleanly and glued up so that there is almost no visible seam. If this were my rod, I would not hesitate to do the repair in this way.

I personally don’t have the expertise in rod building and repair to attempt to splice the rod handle together with new cork. The rod is pretty special to me, and I don’t want anything to go poorly. After thinking about it, I am leaning towards getting the handled replaced entirely, even though it’s more invasive then I would like....

Thank you for the replies everyone

tjsingle wrote:
I personally don’t have the expertise in rod building and repair to attempt to splice the rod handle together with new cork. The rod is pretty special to me, and I don’t want anything to go poorly. After thinking about it, I am leaning towards getting the handled replaced entirely, even though it’s more invasive then I would like....

Thank you for the replies everyone

Yes, but you can always go back and have an entire grip replaced if replacing only a segment of the cork does not work out.

I'm with Kev, I would try to replace the bad cork rings first. That reel seat will likely get destroyed trying to remove it, and that is a desirable rod, be a shame to lose the original seat. if your uncomfortable trying it yourself, do what was mentioned, join the fiberglass forum and send it out to one of the pros on there. A lot of expertise on that forum to steer you in the right direction.

tjsingle, PM sent.

tjsingle, I sent another pm to you with estimated pricing to replace the cork, etc.

So I had the rod repaired, the original grip, reel seat, and guide wraps were retained. The rod flexed well into the grip, thus why it cracked in the first place. The rod was stiffened internally up into the handle, and the original cork was repaired using the cork fines and adhesive. The rod retains its same action and flex. I am very happy with the repair!

Back