Claerwater vs. T3

KeithS

KeithS

Has anyone compared the action of the 8'4" or 8'6" T3 to the 8'6" Clearwater? the T3 is an 8.6flex and the Clearwater is an 8, I believe. I have cast the T3, but not the Clearwater yet.

I'm curious on why would you want to compare the two ?

Frederick,
as in my OP"
"I have cast the T3, but not the Clearwater yet."

Just looking for other opinions

you are talking apples and oranges in those 2 rods...cannot compare the T3 out does the Clearwater hands down...It just depends on how much you want to spend. Clear waters are great rods in there own of course..

One could compare them. They each have a feel when cast and fished.
Hell, one could compare a Yugo to a 'Vette.

just my opinion but I find the clearwaters II's that i have, especially the new green one, to cast as well as many rods over its price......I have been told by dealers that the hydros/T3 and other technologies have been trickled down into the clearwater blanks although they do have substantially lower value hardware

so I don't know exactly how apples to oranges the comparison would be but I could be wrong

Thanks, tyeager
With the age of the T3's, I am hoping that might be the case.

I have 3 of the old Clearwaters that I was talked into buying from a salesman that use to work at Mainstream Outfitters
I love those rods though
I sold all my Sage rods ,because I liked the Clearwaters better
Don't know about the T3 ,never cast one

hey I know that guy to henry, he moved away and started his own shop didn't he ????

I am respected when I walk into an Orvis shop or any other shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders.... I once tried to do underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish - I use the Clearwater II. Stay fishing my friends, stay fishing.

P.S. someone else's opinion on a fly rod is useless...What may work for one person and satisfy their needs, does not always equate to satisfying your needs.

I appreciate all the help from tyeager. I did go cast the rod, as I already knew I needed to. As I already stated, I was hoping someone who may have both, could compare the feel to me, but apparently that's just not possible. How about someone compare how suede feels compared to sandpaper? Get it?
I got the Clearwater on Sunday. I'll just say I like the rod. I won't bother to describe the feel to you. According to Pennypack, it would be useless.

Keith: You already did when you say "I like the rod."

When you compare two good/greats against each other - it is a matter of opinions only. You were actually trying to compare same grit sandpaper to same grit of another manufacturer's sandpaper.
Also in your original post, you did not mention wt. If you were comparing a 6wt to a 3wt for trout on a large river, or to throw out a large fly/nymph - then you would have been comparing suede to sandpaper.

What Wt did you get?

Pennypack,
There are many ways to compare things that seem to have nothing in common. The information I was looking for was supplied by tyeager Thanks for reading.
I got the 904-4

Back