Cabelas Dry Plus Waders

simplefish

simplefish

I am thinking about buying these waders. I have seen positive feedback from people who bought these waders on the Cabelas site. But, I don't trust big companies and their consumer feedback reports. So, I am asking anyone on this board who owns a pair of these for their feedback.
I appreciate any info.
Thanks.

I have had them for a while. The seams come apart after about two years of heavy use. When I say heavy use, I mean multiple 5+ mile hikes and crawling around in thorn bushes.

I coated the seams with loon UV wader repair, and have no complaints.

For the price, two years of heavy use is about right IMO. I try to be reasonable in my expectations of a product, and I think I got what I paid for.

A couple of years of regular use here (15-20 outings a year) with no complaints but I don;t crawl through barbed wire. They're light and pack easily.

Owned my first pair 10 months....leaked at the seem. Cabelas accepted the return. Leaked again at the seems after 8 months with the new pair. Returned them again for store credit.

One way of looking at it is that I got two years worth of waders for free.

Cabelas customer service is top notch....their waders, however, are not.

I see mixed reviews so far. I'm wondering if I should research another pair, or stick with the Cabelas. I don't have a lot to spend, and these were definitely in my price range. From what I have read, buying more expensive waders does not guarantee that they won't leak. It seems that most manufacturers will honor their return policy, and I guess that is the most important issue here.

Simplefish wrote: "I don't have a lot to spend, and these were definitely in my price range. From what I have read, buying more expensive waders does not guarantee that they won't leak. It seems that most manufacturers will honor their return policy, and I guess that is the most important issue here."

I think you answered your own question. All waders seem to leak eventually. My last two pairs of waders were Orvis & Simms, and I can attest to that. The one thing I would add is check out LL Bean, they also are a good company and have decent waders at a reasonable price.

I've now changed my thinking on waders. If the company has good customer service as both Cabelas or LL Bean has IMO, the cheaper waders may be a better bargain. Buying two pairs of Cabelas, LL Bean, or any Company with good customer service for $150 is a better bargain than buying one pair for $300 or more. They are all going to leak and anyway, and judging from the comments made by many posters, it doesn't seem that the most expensive waders last any longer than the mid-priced ones. As long as the waders fit well and are comfortable and the Company backs them well, I would go with the cheaper ones.

The same story with wading boots. Maybe Mo will share his Weinbrenner wading boot story with us again.....and again.....and again. A stickie may save you some typing Mo!

I have decided that waders are a disposable piece of equipment and try to stay close to $100. If they keep me dry for a year, they are worth that much. I have some hand-tied flies that have remained servicable longer than my $299 waders.

Patagonia - there I said it again.

I got mine for 70 bucks on sale...if you can stay under 100 like jack said, its s good investment. You won't find a better pair for the price.

I had the Cabelas River Guides that they don't make anymore for at least 2 or 3 years. I loved them! I get usually 2 or 3 years out of all my breathable waders no matter who makes them it seems. I try not to spend much over $100 for them (have Hodgemans now and like them just as much as the Cabelas). I'm afraid to buy a pair of Sims but I hear they have a great warantee with them and they are Gortex. I'm just not willing to fork out $400 and have them get ruined within a year or two.

I purchased the "Premium Dry-Plus" as a early Christmas present for myself about a month ago.
I got them when they were $5 off with free shipping.
$135, but worth every penny to me. Back page of Cabelas Fly Fishing catalog.
For $20 more these are the heavy duty waders!!! LOL
I got the stocking foot with their $30 zip-up felt bottom boots.
I used to get so sick of tying the laces on my Orvis shoelace boots........ it would take me 5 mins to put the silly things on.
I also have Orvis boot breathable chest waders. They are easy to put on, but I'm a tall guy and the tiny inseams make it hard to walk up a bank.
Also, the felt bottom will wear out, so the stocking foot is more cost effective if you only have to replace the boots!
Mine are great! I also read all the internet chat about the Cabelas waders. No leaks so far for me!! Very comfy to fish in.
With layers, they are just as warm as the neoprene.
IMHO, you don't have to spend 400 bucks to get a decent breathable wader.
Tomorrow, I'll be testing my waders again.... in the rain .... probably at Allenbury.

I am on my fourth pair of Cabelas waders - that means both good and bad things.

The first pair were neoprenes, had them 3 or 4 years and a foot seam started to leak - I took them back to the Hamburg store - they returned them and i put a few bucks with the refund and got the G-IIs, got a year out of them and the leg seam leaked, took them back, refund + a little extra and got the Guide-techs - 2 years out of them and the crotch seam leaked, returned them this past fall and upgraded to the Guidewears.

If they wear out i will buy new ones, if they leak i will return them. So yeah i have had problems with some leaks, but the great customer service offsets the problem as far as i am concerned.

one other bonus with the Cabelas waders is that the XL stout size is almost tailor fit to me, i havent found a major manufacturer that has a similar size.

I've had mine for 3 years and they are teh best waders I'ver ever owned.

I have LL bean waders....the ones for 99 bucks. I agree with the others on not spending an arm and a leg for waders. Although I never owned a pair for three or four hundred bucks. I just don't see the need in spending that much. If anything spend it on line, a reel or a new rod.

Back