Cabelas CZN 10ft 5wt

SBecker

SBecker

Just wondering if anybody one here has one and what they think about it? I picked one up on the cheap, as a little more beefier rod for the Harman's comp. I already have a Echo 10'6 3wt, that is more like a 4-5wt, but I figured a back up never hurt anybody.

Don't have one but have had almost every cabelas I've ownedfly rod break. If you bought it new, keep the receipt. Without the receipt or bought second hand...be ready for PIA to get replaced or get a partial refund. I hope you have better luck with them than I did. I really liked how 2-3 of the models cast but didn't like driving 75 miles one way to replace them.

Nah I bought it used. For the price I really don't care if it breaks. Additionally, I have no plans to have a maid suck up all my line into a vacuum and break the rod.

Ouch.

I was eyeing up the 11' 4wt but I've heard the same thing... they're very brittle.

It's not a specific model I'm talking about. I've had an I'M6 break back in the 80's. It was my first graphite rod. I've also had a LSI, FT+ and PT models break. The ft was a great casting rod. Jdaddy watched me string the rod, pull line out and the top foot broke off. Not good. I've returned all rods bought there at least once. Haven't gotten one from them in a while. That L-tech looks / feels great. Just afraid to buy it.

I don't have the CZN 5 weight but one of my fishing buddies has one. He bought it for a nymphing rod and really likes it. Purchased it new about two years ago. No problems at all.

krayfish wrote:
That L-tech looks / feels great. Just afraid to buy it.

I picked the 8wt up when they had the employee pricing. The reel seat would not hold any of my reels.

That's not good at all. Glad I didn't get one. Did you make them aware of the issue?

Sure did!
The guy I spoke to in the fly shop told me that it's a common issue and generally that is why the rods are on sale a lot.
He also said since they are made overseas, they do not have to conform to AFFTA reel seat standards. Funny that the only reel that fit the reel seat was the Korean built WLX.
BTW... this was the 8wt and other than the reel seat issue, it was a nice casting rod.

I have had the 9' 6" 3 wt. CZN for about 3 years now and really like it. It's my go to nymph rod on spring creek and most the streams I fish here in CNY. So far no problems. I got the rod on clearance for a pretty good price.

It actually casts a dry pretty well too.

Back