Cabela's Thtree Forks combo w/ Prestige reel

KeithS

KeithS

I was planning on a rod build this winter, but I'd still have to buy a reel and line, putting the total price up there at " Not Doable".
I saw a opinion on the Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt and it sounds favorable. Right now, the combo is going for $70.00.
Has anyone used one of the recent Prestige Plus reels ?
I'm not worried about a drag for the smaller streams; if I needed to, I could turn the drag way down and palm the reel, but I don't run into large fish, if any at all.
Anyone have any insight on the reel? Is there a large gap between spool and frame, allowing the line to get caught?

Keith you could drive up here every monday night. my fly tying group is going to do some rod builds. they're paid by donation, so we could get ya set up with a rod lol.

DJ,
Thanks for the offer.
Gas to SW New York and back would cost as much as the Three Forks combo.

My dad has a Prestige and as far as I know, never had any problems w/ it Keith. Is there a known problem w/ the gap between the reel and the spool?

Keith - I have the PP reel...II model I think...I have 5wt line on it. It's a decent reel, and definitely competitive at its price point. The drag isn't the smoothest, but definitely functional, and it hasn't failed. If nothing else, it's sturdy...it's taken some abuse and been fine. On a 3wt rod, 99.9% of its life will be spent simply holding line.

I don't recall the line getting stuck between the frame and spool at all if that's a major concern for ya.

Thanks to all. My mind's made up. Going for the combo.

Sas and Swattie, I haven't heard of the line getting caught SPECIFICALLY from the PPII. It just seems to be a common problem with many of the less expensive reels. As was said, on the 3 wt, who needs a drag in the places I fish?

I purchased a Three Forks, 7'6", 3 wt and a Prestige reel years ago. I love the rod but not the reel. The drag system on the reel I bought stuck many times and I lost a lot of fish. I purchased a Orvis Battenkill II reel and love the new set-up.

Dale

Thanks, Dale

The 7'6" 3wt Three Forks rod is a really nice casting rod - I own two of them.

Something to keep in mind is that it doesn't come with a case - just a rod sock. It's a 3 piece rod, so it's an odd size.

Nothing a stop at Home Depot for some PVC pipe and end caps can't fix....

I have one too (three forks rod) and for the money you can't beat it.

I own that combo and it's served me well. Great deal for the price....

Back