Cabela's CGR rods

D

DEPete53

For those who may be interested, Cabela's has their CGR fiberglass rods on sale now for $79.99. These are the newer ones with the darker muted green blank and black and silver thread wraps.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/Presidents-Day-Fishing-Fly-Fishing-Sale|/pc/105625080/c/630535680/Cabelas-CGR-Fiberglass-Fly-Rod/1873450.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fpresidents-day-fishing-fly-fishing-sale%2F_%2FN-1117442%2FNo-48%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48&WTz_l=undefined%3Bcat630535680

Does anyone here have any experience with the 7'6" 4/5 weight and have an opinion one way or another?

Yo DEPete - thanks for the heads up. I went over to the Christiana store yesterday, and this time they had most of the models on the display rack. They were marked the list price of $129.99, but when I asked Ray about the 'on-line price', he said the store would match it. It took a little paperwork to make this happen, so I got a couple.

BTW - the rod size/weight you mentioned may not be in the line: the 7 footer is a 4/5; the 7 1/2' is a 5/6. One of the ones I got is the 7 footer. Now I can compare it with the old CGR and the CGT 4 wts I already have.

DEPpete,
As Les mentioned, the 7'6" is a 5/6wt. That being said, I own the 7' 4/5 wt and really like it. Loads goods with a Dt or Wf4wt and a Wf5wt. (haven't tried a Dt5 as I don't own one). Accutare at short distances, and I'll assume at long distances if you can cast as well as Les ;-) The sale price is a good deal imo.
One note. Appearently the makers use the same guide size on all models. Not a problem in the lighter sizes, but may be a factor on the 5/6 or 7/8.

peace-tony c.

I just got this rod last week. 6'6" 4wt. Loved the rod from the start! First time with a glass rod and i could not be more happy with how it cast. Roll cast is just plan amazing. It defiantly made me want to get a glass 6wt for sure!

Picked up the 6'2wt a few weeks ago, fished it once, definitely a super small casting range, though it was lined with a 3wt trout Lt. Also just found what I believe is a 2wt DT(was given a bunch of random lines from a buddy) so I'm gonna spool that up and see if that might get me another 5' of accurate casting.

I have a 5'9" that I use on the NC region brook trout trickles (can't really call them creeks). Nice little rod and I actually was playing around the other day and in the open it'll cast a long ways pretty well too

Just picked up the 2wt 6'2". Hope to use this weekend on brookie trickles.

Just picked up the 7' 4/5 weight. Was out casting it in the yard and really like it so far. I'm excited to get it on the water on my trip up to bethlehem next week and hopefully on the NC mountain streams a few weeks later.

Cabelas put a 7'-1" 4 weight Prime one piece fiberglass rod on hold for me at $95.99. I'm going there tomorrow or Sunday to lawn cast it. If it fits and is truly a 4 weight rod, I'll buy it.

Love the little 2 wt. Roll casts like a dream for a little rod. Initiated it with a couple little limestone brownies.

The 7' 4/5 is one my favorite rods. It has been my daily use rod ll season and I cannot find flaw in its use or construction. Excellent rod at a great price.

I got the CGR 7.5 ft 7/8. I wanted a backup steelhead rod. And for 100 it's a steal. It's a very high quality for the price tag.
It casts a 7wf line well I think a 8wf would be awesome. I think a nice buck would be a handful on it.

pacofransico,

Looking forward to a report and pics when you catch a steelie on that rod. I've heard nothing but good reports about the CGR's.

Picked up a 664-3 today for $64.99 plus $20 off with my coupon. So for $45, I look forward to using it for brook trout here and some sunfish. The cork is stunning on this particular rod and I just hope those locking rings hold up. I am not familiar with them and does anyone have a tip to really keeping the reel secure? Maybe I'll be brave and hit the lackawaxen or Lackawanna with the rod and land a 20" or so on it LOL.

Those locking rings work better than you think. Wait til you try to take the reel off....you'll see. LOL

Big bass I would U 40 cork seal the whole cork including the real seat. The seat toughens up the cork.

Well, I got my wife intoxicated enough tonight to understand that I needed another fly rod. 220-221 whatever it takes. So I'm picking up a 7'-6" 5/6 weight tomorrow for $64.99. I don't think she knows I have 20+ rods. Hey, a man's gotta do what a man's' gotta do.

Wow! Killer deal! Last year I thought the 2 CGRs I got on sale @$79.99 each were steals. These CG series were a steal at full list to begin with. I guess that's why I have 5 of them.

Back