Buying a new rod. Advice wanted.

ThePharmacist

ThePharmacist

I'm getting back into fly fishing and would like to get myself a decent set-up for all around trout fishing in Western PA. Starting off I plan to fish the special regulations sections of Dunbar Creek, Laurel Hill, and the Loyalhanna. If you were to choose 1 set-up for these waters to allow you to fish with weighted nymphs as well as dries, which weight and length would you choose.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an 8 ft 4wt Echo Carbon fitted with an Orvis BBS reel.

I'm probably way over thinking it... I actually lost sleep over it last night!!! I went out looking at rods today but since I have little experience I cannot convince myself that any rod will be perfect. I could probably give or take 1-2 rod wts and 6 - 18" and have a fine set up that would "work".

Thanks!

ThePharmacist wrote:
I'm getting back into fly fishing and would like to get myself a decent set-up for all around trout fishing in Western PA. Starting off I plan to fish the special regulations sections of Dunbar Creek, Laurel Hill, and the Loyalhanna. If you were to choose 1 set-up for these waters to allow you to fish with weighted nymphs as well as dries, which weight and length would you choose.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on an 8 ft 4wt Echo Carbon fitted with an Orvis BBS reel.

[color=CC0000]I'm probably way over thinking it... I actually lost sleep over it last night!!! [/color][color=CC0033]I went out looking at rods today but since I have little experience I cannot convince myself that any rod will be perfect. [/color]I could probably give or take 1-2 rod wts and 6 - 18" and have a fine set up that would "work".

Thanks!

Pharmacist,

A 8-9' / 4 or 5 wt rod would work just fine, but no rod is perfect for all conditions. I like tend to favor a little longer rods for more open water for better line control. Test cast a bunch of 4 and 5wt rods and pick the one that best suits your casting style.

BTW, take a Xanax!!! ;-)

I fish a 9 foot 4 weight on those streams most of the time, though a 5 weight might be better to throw streamers or do some heavier nymphing. There are parts of the upper DHALO section on Laurel Hill and most of Dunbar where you might be happier with an 8 foot rod.

Your 8 foot 4 weight will be fine. Treat yourself to a 9 foot 5 weight next year and you'll have the best of everything for these streams.

I go with a 9' 6wt. as a good do it all rod. It lets you cover both the Yough and Laurel Hill anywhere downstream of Barrons Bridge. Nice to here somebody getting back to it. I use a 10' 5wt. for the Yough and a 7'6" 4wt. for smaller water. Good luck.
Matt

You know, flyrods are like thin mints. You can't stop at one.
Nine foot 5 weight is the quintessential all around rod, but you can start higher or lower and longer and shorter just as you thought.

blueheron,
I thought that was lays chips.

I'd go 8'6 4wt mid/fast tip the 8'6 will let you fish anywhere! The BBS is a great reel!

A 4 or 5 wt rod in lenghts from 8'-6" to 9'-0" would be my suggestion for a good overall rod.

I just bought an 8'-6" 4wt St. Croix Imperial rod for about $180 and I love it. An amazing rod for the price. Top quality workmanship and casts very nicely. I love the deep burgandy/brownish color as well. Perfect for medium size water.

I like that echo rod as well. looks nice, but I have not cast one yet to have any opinion on it.

I have that Orvis BBS reel. Very nice reel and a good price. You can't go wrong there.

I could sure go for some lays chips and thin mints right about now . . .

that echo sounds stellar... you wouldn't happen to be speaking on the one at woody's of indiana angler would ya?

Thanks for the opinions guys. I will make my final decesion when I am holding one of these rods but it is good to know that atleast I was in the right ball park on my choice thus far.

I've visited the few flyshops nearest my home and think I will be spending my money with the guys at International Angler in Robinson. I've been treated well every time I have been in there.

Ask them if they have any reels or rods on consignment. I have picked up a few deals from them.

Back