Building a brookie rod

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

I fish several small streams that hold only brookies, and a few that only hold brookies and browns up to about 15-16". I am also taking a trip this summer to fish some brook trout streams down in Virginia, and enjoy going blue lining. I considered getting a tenkara for the portability and light fishing, but decided a much more practical idea would be to build a 3wt rod. I currently have a 5wt that I can catch even the smallest brookies on, but I can't even notice the small ones are there at times and it makes bringing in fish especially with barbless hooks a little tougher since I don't feel as I can finesse the fish as easily.

Anyways, I've settled on a redington classic trout 7-6" 3wt for my rod, found a great deal on them, read good review, checked a few out at the local field and stream but unfortunately couldn't cast them since it's winter. My current 5wt is a redington and I think they are fine for the price, and for a cheap 3wt setup I don't want to get into a ton of money.

For the reels, I have narrowed it down to the drift which is normally paired with that rod, from redington, which is a click/pawl and very light weight, and the ATS from allen, which is a drag, slightly larger, and slightly heavier.

I've never used a click and pawl, but don't see me needing a lot of drag if at all on a 3wt rod. I barely use the drag on my 5wt unless I'm hunting the big browns.

Both reels are 99 dollars, and I think both are good looking. I have checked out plenty of others. I would prefer something with a larger arbor because I hate reeling in forever, but realize with a small stream rod I will be stripping line more often than reeling anyways. I would like to be able to chase some medium sized small stream wild browns that can grow to the 15-16" range around here as well though with this rod, and wasn't sure if the click/pawl would be up to the task.

If anyone has any experience with these reels, or any advice, please chime in.

Finally I'm trying to settle on line, have been looking at the blue halo lines, but really don't know much about line selection and I'm pretty inexperience in that department.

Thanks for any advice

Ryan

Ryan,
I fish a lot of mountain brook trout streams and just got a new 7'6 3wt rod w an Orvis battenkill reel, which I like. I went with the size 1 bc it balances nicely w the rod and fishing for brookies you don't need much as far as a reel goes. I bought Orvis Hydros superfine line for it...mainly bc it was on sale for $30 when I bought my reel haha, but it works well. Also similar to the Redington drift, my friend has a LL Bean pocket water reel, which he really likes. All 3 are so close in price and design, you probably couldn't go wrong with any of them.

system 2 L reels or a Ross Gunnison g1

This in a 4/5 not the large arbor. I have a couple 5/6's I run on a 1wt up to a 6 wt.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scientific-anglers-system-2l-fly-fishing-reel-5and6wt~p~4719d/

On a 3wt bamboo screams brookie! fe Thomas taper.

Or a payne 97 which I believe off the top of my head is an 8' blank. I'm building a modified payne 97 hex, unfortunately I wont be done before I hit pa.

thanks for the input guys. Yeah I looked at the battenkill too, seems like the common choice so I figure I might go a little different. Seems like it should be a solid setup.

I would love to build a rod but I have enough on my plate right now without taking up another skill or hobby, hahaha. I think it will be something I take up down the road once I feel pretty versed in my fly tying and want a new challenge.

I have a Allen ATS in red and I like it a lot. It has the large arbor and looks really sharp. I also have Orvis BBS reels which I also like a lot. Can't go wrong between them.

Much of selecting brookie stream rods, I think, is a matter of aesthetics and personal taste. For this game, I like extremely short rods (under 6') that are fitted with tiny handles and reel seats and that are matched to tiny, traditional style fly reels. I build my own rods so have some options in this respect however.

To my mind, a fancy, space age, large arbor reel with the latest disc drag...just looks and feels clunky and out of place on a brookie rod. Small, clicker style reels look and feel nice. Rods and reels like this appeal to me in the same way a tiny, handcrafted recurve bow or how a 28 GA side by side just feels right for stomping after grouse or timberdoodles.

The smaller the better. Don't sweat brand names - instead, just set up something that looks and feels right.

I basically just want a nice looking reel that will hold line for the brookies, but will be able to handle a bigger brown if I happen onto one. I can definitely relate to you with the basic, minimalistic aspect of the small stream rod. I like a little reach for when I bow and arrow shoot or need to reach over brush or limbs. I think the 7' 6" will be a good compromise length. I think I am going to go with the ATS after looking at them more, even though it is a little heavier, I can get it loaded with line for less than the drift. They both are gona hold line and I really like allens warranty, and want to try out one of their reels before I build another heavier rod with one of their reels in the near future.

The ATS and drift are both "mid" arbor so not the crazy looking large arbor, I don't want something so insanely small it looks silly either so I think it will be a good match. For a 6' rod like you mentioned, fish, I think the very small reels would look great. I want to have a more sensitive rod for brookies, but not handicap myself or endanger any larger fish I hook up with.

I will keep you guys updated and let you know what I think about what I get and how it works.

Again thanks for all the tips and advice.

It sounds like you're building a setup with concern for outliers.

Thanks for your opinion.

Click pawl reels, can handle large fish. They may even be more smooth than disc drags. As far as line, try to cast a few different line weights on your rod, and cast them how you'll fish them i.e. with only a few feet of fly line out of the tip. It'll load the rod easier.

I fish a ton of brookie streams, and I'd go with the Orvis Battenkill reel, it weighs around 3 ounces, and will hold enough backing that you won't have to reel a lot. Not that you'll get the fish on the reel very often. For me it would happen once every 1000 brookies, they don't get big enough to worry about backing, or a large arbor reel.
As for summer fishing in VA, make sure you know what streams you wish to fish, and plan to fishing after storms, many of the brookie streams in VA go dry in the summer, especially the streams on the western side of the Blue Ridge.

edit: There are always a couple of fish larger than 10 inches, whether they are brookies or browns, you may need to get on the reel, the Battenkill is an excellent choice, I've got 3 and have used them for 30 years.
The rod needs to be balanced, especially a light weight rod.

this is one of the fishing venues where Tenkara shines.

Thanks you both for the input.

I'm pretty sure the streams we have selected will be alright for fishing, with some of the smaller ones I'm sure getting dryer.

I think there are a lot of ways to skin it, and they will all end up with near the same result.

Just scored a system 2 2/3L reel with two spare spools! I gotta stop taking my own advice LOL! Really if you can get them they are a pretty sweet reel! Though there's a bunch of good ones on the market these days. Unfortunatly used is the only way to get the SA's Ls. The Ross gunnisons have an anniversary run right now. They set the standard on drags back in the late 90s. I run g3's and now a g5 on a spey rod. If I found one I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Gunnison g1 for a lighter rod! Pre or post 98. quality gear will last you your lifetime!

You can buy and finish the blank or buy the rod for a pretty decent price, if you're interested. the fethomas is a 7'6" rod.

Back