Brown Glass

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Finally sealed the deal on an old Fenwick fiberglass. Rod is a 50 year old workhorse. 1967-68 Fenwick FF85 7,8,9 weight. Took it out last night for the first time with the same reel and line I use on my CGR #7/8, which is SA WF8 bass magnum.

Had a nice short outing casting some poppers and a 4" clouser. I love the rod. It casts great and very long distances. This thing is a beast. At this point I think I might have some graphite rods too sell. Caught one medium sized bass that I spotted chasing bait along the bank. Love it. I should name it,.... Brown Betty?

Attachments

• 2017-08-29 16.04.19.jpg
    2017-08-29 16.04.19.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 4
Very nice !! 50% of my trips are with either a 7' or 7'6" Wonderod. I can't handle the longer/heavier ones though - due to hand issues, wish I could.

Was there any work required on the cork or wraps ?

Everything is original on it. The finish is slightly worn and other the Fenwick label being almost worn off and faded all the guides and wraps are still good.

Guy had a sticker on it for $80 and then $60. I almost forgot about the rod and almost a month later I see it's still not sold and I offered $50 figuring either way I'm taking it home. Sold.

The rod overall is in good shape and I really like the way it fishes for bass. I'm wondering if it can be cleaned and lightly finished or touched up without having to mess with to wraps. I never got into rod building, I wouldn't know where to start.

Attachments

• 2017-08-29 19.06.58.jpg
    2017-08-29 19.06.58.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1
  • 2017-08-29 19.08.11.jpg
    2017-08-29 19.08.11.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 2017-08-29 19.06.02.jpg
    2017-08-29 19.06.02.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 2
Surprising to some just how much power the old Fenwicks have. Don't know about dressing up the rod, but I refinished several cork grips and they turned out really nice. If you want to refinish the cork and you need help, send a pm.

Bass and glass equals good times. I'd love to find time to sling some flies at some smallies with you LeakyWaders! I'll have to stick with my 7/8 CGR though as I don't own any awesome cool vintage glass. Nice purchase!

Question...how much are those Fenwicks worth? My dad has one very similar in a 8' 5wt I believe. I always tell him to be careful with it because its worth some money.

Question...how much are those Fenwicks worth? My dad has one very similar in a 8' 5wt I believe. I always tell him to be careful with it because its worth some money.

I guess it just depends on condition mostly. I did a lot of browsing around on ebay and craigslist and it seems like you can find a rod in decent condition for about $60 - $80 if you look around. I've seen rods that were like new or mint with the aluminum rod tube for a couple hundred. I paid $50.

Seems like the fenwicks are found at decent prices for what they are. Some brands are harder to find cheap, but I've picked up a few junk rods for $10 - $20 like a Horrocks Ibbitson or South bend only because I wanted the reel attached to it.

I had to make my own rod tubes for my older rods I didn't have anything long enough for the old two piece rods. I just some rods socks and they'll be good to go.

Attachments

• 2017-09-11 10.30.49.jpg
    2017-09-11 10.30.49.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 3
Price can depend on which rod and the condition. The 5 weight rods generally command a higher price than heavier line weight rods. And one person's excellent condition rod may be another persons average condition rod. The price of vintage Fenwick rods (along with some other vintage rods) was somewhat absurd a half a dozen years or so ago. That changed with so many new glass rods being offered.

The most I paid for a vintage Fenwick occurred 3 years ago. I wanted a pristine FF755 in the worst way, having to do with owning one circa 1970 and giving it away. I paid a premium price of $125. I have no regrets. Condition being like it just came from the factory yesterday. I think the days of people paying several hundred dollars for a vintage Fenwick rod are gone, at least for now. The one rod that has baffled me is the Fenwick is the FF605. Yes, they are somewhat scarce. But it is a "one trick pony". I have one, my least favorite of the 5 Fenwicks I own.

jifigs,

I've only ever met or fished with a handful of members from this forum. I used to post on here a lot more. I noticed at one point all of the older posts had disappeared and were no longer searchable and everyone's "number of posts" was reset to zero. I went to a Jam in 09' I think. It would be nice to get out more with some fellow flyrodders. I usually fish alone. Not too many fly rods on the bass waters I fish.

Outsider,

I read something in a John Gierach book, Trout Bum, I think the chapter was "Cane Rods". He mentions fiberglass briefly in a paragraph, basically mentioning the resistance by some who fish with bamboo to accept graphite and all the new technology, and that even a smaller group that fished fiberglass and resisted the new wave of graphite were probably better off and saved a lot of money in the process.

I have had offers on some of mine all the way to 350.00 won't sell. 705 is a good one if you can find one. I'm looking for 10-12 wts now

Jake, how many times do things come full circle. Bob, the FF705 may be my favorite.

big fan of the fenwick glass 5 weights.
have amassed a decent selection of them. recently moved on to a first gen hmg.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Generally for a vintage fiberglass rod, a shorter length or lighter line weight equals a higher price.

All other things equal, a 7' example of a Fenwick, Wonderod, Browning Silaflex or other vintage rod will usually be harder to find and more expensive than a 8'6" example. Likewise, a 5wt will typically be more expensive than a 7wt.

I'll have to do some research on what my dad's rod actually is. I know its an older Fenwick in I believe a 5wt and I want to say its 8 foot.

This thread really got my attention as I already have a few fiberglass rods. So I'm following the auction for the last few days that ending last evening @ 11:15, while watching the Ravens destroy the fish. It was a FF765 that looked brand new, it still had the plastic wrap on the cork. Tube also looked new. The bidding was stuck on $63.00 for days and I was determinded to swoop in and scoop it up in the last minute for any price. Wouldn't you know it, my computer froze up and I could not bid and time expired. It sold for $65.00. I hope one on you won it.

It was a FF765 that looked brand new, it still had the plastic wrap on the cork. Tube also looked new. The bidding was stuck on $63.00 for days and I was determinded to swoop in and scoop it up in the last minute for any price. Wouldn't you know it, my computer froze up and I could not bid and time expired. It sold for $65.00.
Wow, a 7 1/2' 5wt vintage Fenwick - like new - even with the original tube for $65 - that's a steal !!

Wasn't me, but I do have a nice collection of shorter Wonderods.

I didn't realize Fenwick makes new fiberglass rods (s2 glass) go for about $200.00

Yeah I've thought about getting one of those new fenglass Fenwicks. I think I read they are a tad faster and lighter than the older glass. Had my eye on the Redington Buttersticks too.

Echo, Hardy, TfO, and a few other companies have been making glass in the past few years too, but if I can buy vintage for less then half that, and in good condition, then why not, if it performs well.

I broke a 5 weight last year so I'm in the market this year for another 5 or 6 weight between 7' - 8'.in length.

I own one Fenwick. It is a vintage late 1960's 7' FF70. Great dry fly rod. I have never cast one of the heavier weights but would sure like to try one some time. I own an old Heddon Pal 8 1/2' 8 weight and it's really heavy.

Back