Breaking News: Silk fly line casts farther than plastic!

Well, as interesting as that was to read, I guess if I ever want to hook up with a fresh water fish at over 75'.......... I'll have to dig out and grease up the few, old, silk lines I have tucked away somewhere, huh?

Wonder why they didn't let the "modern line" to be cast with a "modern rod", to make this "contest" fair? Instead of comparing "apples to bananas" like they obviously did, (The old school gear), it would have been more interesting (and a different outcome, I'm sure), to simply pit "new line-graphite" against "boo stick-real silk".

Personally, anything whatsoever, to do with fly fishing that even remotely contains the word,"competition", I get a bit testy over. So, my apologies now, for sounding so negative!

flybinder,

I understand your feeling about competition in fishing, I'm agin it, too. However, even though I can't cast far, and on the medium size freestone streams I fish, don't ever need to (lots of wading and short to medium casts), I think that the results of the test were interesting.

BTW, silk casts very nicely on FRP (fiber-reinforced plastic) rods, as well. Just think of cane rods as FRL (fiber-reinforced lignum) rods.

Back