Better Big Game Reel: Ross CLA or Orvis Hydros?

iceyguides

iceyguides

Which reel in your opinion is better in 8wt, ross CLA or orvis Hydros, for the type of fishing typical to our region? ie. steelhead, bass, salmon, striper, pike, etc...

Thanks Jdaddy, thus far my experience with Ross products has been very good.

I have a trout sized hydros reel, and it seems to be bomb proof. No idea if that translates to big game fishing, but I wouldn't doubt it. No experience with the Ross, but I know they make fine reels.

I would go with the colton torrent great saltwater big game reel
Sale going on also.

never had an Orvis reel fail, on salt or fresh..

i had 2 orvis reels fail on one alaska trip and another fail on a keys trip.
these were all in the vortex series
don't know about the new ones. will never trust an orvis reel again

I had two of the second series Orvis BLA fail. One is in my gear box right now. The drag is now sealed on generation 3, however neither of my failures were drag related.

Ive caught about 10 steel on my battenkill large arbor III and Havent had a lick of problems. I dont see a glitch in there design. I need a good real for my 8wt winston Im either gonna get a Access mid or a Hardy Ultralite disc drag. The local shop just became a hardy & Greys dealer so I hope to get to see 1 up close.

the Hardy ree.
s2.jpg

I beat the snot out of my gear in the salt -- the Ross CLA is holding up well !

PACOFRANSICO wrote:
Ive caught about 10 steel on my battenkill large arbor III and Havent had a lick of problems. I dont see a glitch in there design. I need a good real for my 8wt winston Im either gonna get a Access mid or a Hardy Ultralite disc drag. The local shop just became a hardy & Greys dealer so I hope to get to see 1 up close.

the Hardy ree.
s2.jpg

Which Winston? I have the BIIIx and put a Lamson Litespeed Alox on it and it balances beautifully. Frankly the Litespeed is too light for a lot of rods. Bought an extra spool for sinking line for the set up as well. Love it.

How are the colton rods?...already got the Ross cla

The Ascent its my back up rod for steel. I really dont like it much. But in a pinch it'll do.

Back