Best way to get smell out of waders

kyle1248

kyle1248

Any suggestions for getting nasty odors out of the neoprene booty part of my waders. I left them wet in my truck for a day or two and they smell of something awful on the inside. I completely dried them out and turned them inside outside for two days and that still didnt' work. They are breathable part doesn't smell it is only the neoprene. Any suggestions?

Buy new ones?

I'd try a one-two punch of febreeze and a tin of baking powder left in each foot for a few days.

Soda? Powder? Whatever. The Arm & Hammer stuff. I can't keep this straight...

You might try this.... There is a video on wader cleaning/washing.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gallery/gallery_display.html?gallery_id=00006

Good Luck!

Bathing regularly is always suggested. Seriously, I've had the same issue w/ my new waders. They smell worse after 3 uses than my other waders do after 5-6 yrs. They may have changed the make up of the boot material. I'm going to try turning them inside out, hand washing w/ detergent in the tub and letting them dry. Other than that, I think you and I will have to live with the smell.

You'll learn to love that smell.

I honestly dont' think I can take the smell. I tried the febreeze method and that didn't work as well. I guess I'll try the baking soda method and scrubbing them in the tub but if that doesn't work, I'll just have to get used to it. I don't really wanna be shelling out money for a new pair of waders when these work find just are stinky.

Make sure when you're done with your waders that you dry them rather than leave them wet. I turn mine inside out, dry them and then turn them rightside out and dry again. The video Rolf posted is a good one.

Deal with it eventually you'll get use to it At least that's what I tell the Yorkers that moved in next door and complain about the turkey poo.

eat Taco Bell or Mickey D's prior to an outing....that should at least change the odor!

Hang them outside to dry it seems to help.

hang them outside, but avoid hanging in the sun, uv rays are killers on things.
also, what kind of socks are you wearing? cotton is junk. I always use a wool or wool blend. some of the new synthetics are good also. need to get the condensation out away from your feet.
I have a pair of hiking boots that were getting a little ripe, washed them with mild detergent, let em dry, then sprayed them with lysol. they haven't smelled in over a year now.

I have been just wearing cotton socks I will try the wool suggestion. I gave them a good scrubbin in the tub tonight. Once they are dry I am going to hit them w/ a lysol/febreeze combo and hope for the best.

Don't stick your head into them, your legs go into them.

washing machine with powder soap
or get this stuff

http://www.mcnett-hunting.com/Repair-Guide/Tips/Cleaning-Waders/612.aspx

Thanks Skil- I saw French Creek is a dealer maybe I will swing by there on my lunch break and see if they carry it.

Stick them in the freezer overnight. That will kill the odor causing bacteria. It works on wading shoes/boots as well.

I've also read that freezing will kill any Didymo spores that may be hitchhiking on your felt soles.

Also, I always wear nylon or polyester socks as well to keep your feet happy and a little less stinky as well.

Freezer! No way! Lets just save those for a sunny day! Yeah, they won't smell!

Lets describe the smell! Rotten Frito Corn Chips or something worse? First try the least killer. Put them in a washer on soak cycle with baking soda, lots. Hang them out of the sun inside out in full air. Worse comes to worse peroxide is the next best thing but it will beat them up material wise. But if you have to use peroxide it won't leave a smell. Best I can tell you.

Always turn your waders inside out. They'll eventually still stink but if you clean them........... no they will just stink. Just get used to it! :-D

Also, use gold bond in your socks. It could be your feet sweating and leaving that florally smell. lol Other than that the previous advice sounds good to me. I never had that problem so I really don't know......

I'll second wetnet's suggestion. Wash and stick out in the SUN to dry. The sun does wonders to kill bacteria, mold, mildew, etc.
Works for me everytime.

Back