Best knots for Fluoro tippet?

B

Bopper

I have tried various knots for attaching 2 pieces of 4 lb (0.007") fluorocarbon tippet and a dropper. Guess that would be 5x or 6x, which is something you might use nymphing for spooky fish in clear water. Seems like fluoro line is brittle, strangles itself and breaks easily with some of the standard knots. Blood and surgeons knots seem to break way too easily to hold a big fish with such fine tippet. Nothing scientific to report, but the strongest for attaching 2 pieces seems to be the double uni and the perfection loop to loop. The tag end in the double uni also makes a strong dropper. I would be interested to hear what knots folks are using with fluoro. I know going to 4x or 3x is possible most of the time but a weak knot is a weak knot, no matter what diameter.

What brand of flouro if you don't mind my asking? I have not had trouble with knots except a little joining mono to flouro.

I'm with Alby. My only failures were to the hook eye and I'll call it a bad knot by me that caused it.

Lubricate, lubricate,lubricate, the heat build up from flouro can weaken it.

Some flouro is just crap or can be brittle. Have some one else try it to make sure it's just not you.

Same question: what brand? I've not had trouble with that.

You guys are probably right, it may be poor quality or old line. No way it is my technique, haha. The fluoro I been playing around with is Seaguar red label and Berkley solutions. Not sure how old, could be 10-20 year old left over from spin fishing. I have some relatively fresh SA in 2x and some ARC in 4x, 5x and 6x that I got on clearance. I'll give them a try. Might even buy some good fresh expensive stuff and try it. Sometimes you have to pay for quality. I checked George Daniel's Dynamic Nymphing book and all he is using with fluoro is standard knots.

I don't believe flouro breaks down over time, or at least our life time.

I would go fresh.

10-20 year old is really old fluoro! In all those years I bet its seen its fair share of extreme temperature changes, which will degrade the line. I recommend trout hunter or Seagar grand max. With Fluoro, you pay for what you get, if you want good strength at the thinnest diameter. Look in to pound test vs. diameter and you'll see that there are differences.

I may be wrong on the flouro not degrading. I thought that was one of the knocks from an environmental standpoint that it doesn't break down. Anyone care to shed some light on the subject.

I tried surgeons and blood knots with 4x and 6x ARC. The knots were much stronger than the older stuff. Also ordered some fresh SA fluoro tippet so I am good to go when my leg heals. I fell last Monday fishing and bashed my lower shin on some rocks. Had one on and was trying to get over to the side. Thanks guys!

I threw out some Orivis Mirage Florocarbon from last year that kept breaking on me this past week while fishing. Used some fresh stuff and no breaks. I have found the same with Rio as well....after a year it breaks.

Ron

I tie my tight line rigs (which is what it sounds like you are doing) with a triple surgeon knot, and have not had any issues with knot failure....agree with others, though - fresh fluouro is important as in my experience it tends to get brittle with age

I use a blood knot. I have experimented with J knots and surgeons knots but went back to the blood knot. I think knot success and failure is mostly attributed to lubrication and making sure the knot is tightened correctly and not folded over itself incorrectly.

Another thing to consider is that there is a big difference between 4x and 5x. With most brands 4x is 7lb, while 5x is 4.8lb and the difference is only .001 mm in diameter. That's a jump of over 2 lbs. Trout hunter offers a 4.5x. While it sounds gimmicky, Its actually very useful as a go between.

I was impressed with the abuse the 4x ARC fluorocarbon tippet took without breaking yesterday tight line nymphing. Used a simple clinch knot on the tippet ring and improved clinch on the hook eye and rear of the top fly hook. However, I don't believe the improved is much stronger the the simple clinch. Several times I snagged bottom and pulled hard expecting the line to break, but the fly pulled free instead. Even horsed a couple nice browns over fast to get them out of the rapids. Only had to rerig once and that was after I wrapped the leader around the rod about 50 times while trying to get the loop knot between the leader and fly line through the top ring, haha. Tried some triple surgeons and blood knots today at the bench with new SA fluorocarbon and was impressed. The blood seemed stronger maybe but more of a pain to tie than the surgeons, especially in 6x.

Back