Best carry-on bag for airline travel?

elonDO

elonDO

I have an upcoming trip to the Bahamas for bonefish. This is the first trip I've every taken when I'm flying for fly fishing. Any recommendations on good carry-on bags that can handle rods & other gear? I found a few bags including - Clear Creek Rum City Rod Carrier and Allen Cascade Rod & Gear bag. Any recommendations or other bags that folks use?

Also, is it possible to carry-on fly tying gear (ex: vise, hooks, small amount of materials?). I would think the vise would need checked, but just curious. thanks for any help!

I find the easiest way is to put all my supplies, flies, reels, tippet, etc into a normal size carry on that has wheels. Then for my personal item, I take my fly rod tube. If I need more than one rod, I ZIP tie the tubes together. If anything is of value, I recommend carry on. I only brought my vice once and I believe I checked it and my material.

Second the rod tube to carry the rod and reel. I see no reason why your tying gear could not be carried on as long as the hooks, scissors, bodkin, and any other deadly weapon, is packed away in checked in luggage.

Orvis Safe passage rod case (Cabelas has a similar case) as the personal item, this will carry several rods and reels. Take a standard carry on bag for other essentials. The only thing I would not put in a carry on is flies. TSA rules say you can have flies, but I never take the chance. Worst case, you can buy flies where ever you are going to fish.

Unless you have a lot of money, take your flies on carry on. It would cost a lot of money to buy all the flies you needed at a fly shop and you'll still not have all your bases covered. I've carried on hundreds of flies several dozen times without 1 incident. Carry a copy of the TSA guideline that permits flies in case you have an issue.

I recently flew to Colorado with gear and I took the risk of checking everything. I did carry my rods on though. I taped the 2 tubes together and carried them by the tube strap. I had no issues getting through security. I did get some weird looks from people in the airport as well as on the plane. I definitely suggest that you check anything that could be construed as a weapon. TSA doesn't mess around and you will lose it if they don't like it.

I recently went to the Cayman islands and carried a rod tube and my reel in my backpack. All flies and other gear I checked. Flying there was no problem at all. On the way back though was a different story. The Cayman islands are a British virgin island and they had signs on the walls of the airport that stated fishing rods are not allowed as carry ons. I pleaded my case that I brought it there with no problem and told them I promised not to practice casting down the isle but it wasn't happening so I had to put it in my checked bag. So word of advice you'll probably be fine leaving here but check your final destinations flight regulations.

don't even think about a bag with fishing logos on it - orvis, etc if you're checking your rods.

thats just an advertisement to theives that valuable rods are in there.

I usally carry on the rod, with the TSA guidelines and have all the reels and flies in a small backpack.

tools and metal stuff goes in the duffel bag on wheels.

Back