Bean Kennebec Wading Boots Boa-Closure, Studded

Berks

Berks

I'm considering these boots and was looking for any comments from anyone out there using them. I also haven't owned a boot with this Boa-closure system which it seems some people love and have no problems with while others have issues from the start.

My previous Bean Gray Ghost boots which I loved finally gave up the ghost... after 5 or 6 years the soles are separating. And after all those years, not one lost stud.

After doing some quick research it's odd to me that certain suppliers don't offer boots with factory-installed studs in the their lineup. It must be more cost effective for them to sell the studs/screws separately and have the consumer install.

Thanks for any input.

In some wading situations, you don’t want studs. All of my worst falls have come on big, slick slab rock with studs. They’re ice skates in that situation. Because of this I choose not to use them. There’s times, mainly in cobble, I wish I had them though. It’s a trade off, though I’ve found the falls in cobble easier to predict and control than the slips on slick slab rock.

Some manufacturers include them with all boots but let the consumer decide whether they want to install them. Others sell them separately to keep the cost of the boot down for those who don’t need them, and earn extra profit from those who do.

I'm withe Swattie on this one. Studs are not worth using. Can't beat felt!

Gave the LLB boas a test drive this winter.
Thought “crank/turning” the dial would b better than fumbling w laces during cold winter temps
It takes about 30 “ cranks” to secure each boot.
Not really a time saver compared to traditional laces

Boots tend to b heavy and take longer to dry
Construction seems ok
I installed my own studs, kept to abt 8 short studs each boot to minimize “ skating” hazard

Conclusion is a hearty “meh”

That's one reason I like the Bean factory-installed studs. They are relatively small and allow the rubber sole to also contact the stream bottom which helps to reduce any skating on the ledge rocks.

Thanks for the comments on the boa system. I think I'll probably stick to laces.

As for felt, I had them years again and had problems with slipping and sliding while hiking over any kind of uneven terrain especially wet/muddy stream banks.

My advise, when you find a pair of boots you love, buy 5 pair, because they will eventually stop making them,,,

Just my opinion FWIW but I love the BOA system and find it much quicker and much easier to adjust tension than laces.

+1 on the BOA system. Been using them (Corkers) for about 5 years and will not go back to laces. They are quick, easy and stays where you lock them. That said, I carry a replacement kit just in case.

I have been using the BOA system for 4 years now and would not go back to laces. I like that after walking for a while I can adjust the tension by just a few clicks instead of having to re tie laces.

+1 on the Bean factory installed studs in Aquastealth rubber soles. They are minimal and allow for very good footing on most surfaces both we & dry.

Standard laced are a bitch to tighten on the Bean boots when dry, easy when wet.

I am boa-curious. ;)

I have found a boa closure to be a VASTLY superior mechanism to laces. They don't untie. As you wade and walk, and your boots/laces wet, stretch and loosen, you don't have to re-tie, just twist. And you can do it through the neoprene wader cuffs still pulled down. I got mine on LLBean light weight boots 5 years ago so I could fish while my hip went bad. Laces were not an option. Laces are way under-estimated in the performance of boots. You will notice if you re-lace your boots with top-notch boot laces. Boas are the next step up. After 5 years, I replaced my boa laces as one got frayed. Replacements are free. Instructions, however, are not good as old models are not shown. But it you have decent to good mechanical skills, as I am claiming for myself, you can do it.

I would want to have all my wading footgear with Boa laces.
Studs are your choice. I use them. I have also left 'claw marks" on particularly large, flat, very hard rocks along Oil Creek. Oftentime, not even in the water!

And Aqua Tread is so vastly superior for wading to Vibram's IdroGrip that.... it's just vastly superior. IdroGrip makes me feel like I might kill myself in anything besides the easiest wading. IdroGrip is fine for trippy waters like Central PA, but not slippery waters like Oil Creek or the Allegheny.

Sy

With all the positive comments on the boa and finding a 20% off coupon in my emails, I pulled the trigger on these boots.

I guess I should probably add a pair of wire cutters to my pack now, just in case.

Hi, I ordered a pair of the ll bean lights with the boa. Couldn't get over the price. $ 199.00 - 20% =159.00 free shipping, + Md tax - $20.00 in bean rewards, = $149.00 deliverd to me. Had to go with them. Hope I like them. First time with Boa lacing system.

Back