Bean Double L or TFO

R

rhnam

Hi everyone,

So I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on this scenario. I’m in the market for a 4 weight. Up until now I’ve been considering a TFO Pro II 8’ 4wt around 150 bucks. I was also considering getting a Ross CLA 1.5, found a deal that includes a cheap line for about $185. Total price ~$335 , maybe $350 if I upgrade the line.

I got an email from LL Bean this morning (huge fan of Bean’s stuff) and found a 8’6” 4wt Double L rod with a Double L reel and a Rio gold line for $280. This, in my mind, is a great deal. Link to LL Bean setup

So my question is, does anyone have an opinion on the Bean setup vs the TFO-Ross setup? Also, this is my first rod under 9’. Does anyone think there’s a major difference between an 8’ and 8’6” rod?

I’m going to use this to fish mainly dry flys and the occasional small nymph in pocket water and streams that range from 25-30 feet in width all the way up to bushy mountain streams.

Rich

I too am in the market for a new rod, the LL bean stuff gets great reviews and has a good price, especially with the sale right now ! It is a tough decision. Like others have said on here, try them out if you can. I love my sage 4 wt, it also depends what you are using it for mainly as well. Good luck.

My nephew has a TFO pro II and I thought it cast pretty nicely. As for the reel, you can pick up a redington rise for $80 cheaper which would pay for a nice line.

I don't think you'll notice a major difference between 8' & 9' lengths except maybe mending / line control. Remember that TFO doesn't give a tube so factor that in to you expenses. I'm not sure how the Bean warranty compares but I believe it's pretty solid.

Thanks all, after considering the cost of a tube and upgrading a line, plus the Bean warranty I went ahead and purchased the Bean outfit. Now I'm just waiting happily for the darn thing to arrive.

I'm not sure how the Bean warranty compares but I believe it's pretty solid.

The Bean warranty, simply put, is the best in the business, period.

Seriously, I don't think there's anywhere else that sells fly rods that backs them up with anything as good as Bean.

It's lifetime, no questions asked, and for any reason at all. If you're not satisfied, send it back.

Back