Bamboo fly rod steal!

BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

Last night i was at an auction and got an $800 bamboo fly rod for 65 bucks! Its my first cane rod and i cant wait to get it on the water. Its only flaws are it has a brand new rod seat and i think the grip may need replaced in the future. But I got a great deal. Im keepin my eye out for a reel to match. I looked at some vintage Pflugers but i might just get something modern. Any input on the reel for this rod. I cant be spending too much though, im thinking around the equivalent of five lawns :-D

Just buy a new Pflueger...You can still buy a medalist can't you?

Great find man, nothing better than getting a deal!
I have a medalist 1494 with drag from the 70s if you'd like it for say $15, what length and weight is the rod and whose the maker?

sometimes boo rods are hard to balance with modern reels, vintage reels have a little more heft to acheive proper balance. depending on length and line wt, a 1494-1495 medalist would be a perfect match. just search vintage reels on ebay for ideas on prices.
next step above the medalists would probably be the jw young reels, pridex, baeudex, etc. also great reels that match boo rods perfectly, usually be able to pick these up for under 100 bucks. they are made in england and have a cult following similar to the medalists.
skil, that reel is a steal at that price, being made in the 70's means it's still made in the usa. brookiebuster should take you up on that deal!

Great find! What sort of rod was it?

You can still buy medalist's. The Feathered hook in Coburn sells them, and they've been converted. Basically they take out the old cheapo plastic and cast metal working parts and replace them with quality forged and machined parts. Results in much higher quality and functionality while maintaining the classic looks. Think the company that does it is called One Pfoot, or something similar. You can probably do the same thing yourself with ordered parts, or find other shops that carry them, but I know the feathered hook carries them in stock.

Reels for a bamboo are a much bigger deal than graphite. The main reason is weight. So many modern reels are made light for graphite rods, and just don't balance a boo. If its too tip heavy, your arm will feel the pain. Whatever you pick, make sure the fulcrum is down on or very near to the grip.

One way to do it is just use too big of a reel. Using a reel made for 6-7 wts on a 4 or 5 wt should work in theory. Or go with the old heavier reels that were made for bamboo, like the medalist, and it adds the tradition aspect too. Whatever you go with, make sure to take your rod with you on your shopping trips and demand that you be able to afix it to the rod and check the balance point. Keep in mind the weight of the backing and fly line too, it can be considerable, and will bring the fulcrum towards the reel.

Jonas gets those parts from One Pfoot. Bill, the guy that runs the business is a great guy and has just started selling full reels himself.

http://www.onepfoot.com/

skiltonian wrote:
Great find man, nothing better than getting a deal!
I have a medalist 1494 with drag from the 70s if you'd like it for say $15, what length and weight is the rod and whose the maker?

This is an absolute bargin on this reel if its in anything but bargin condition. Even then, its still a fair price.

I'm up to 3 of them now, and while the newer Chinese reels aren't much different than the '70s DA Americans, they still hold a value, monetarily and emotionally, more than the modern Asian stuff.

I've already replaced one high end reel with a Pflueger while it goes back to the factory, and since I didn't need the drag it offered me, I think I'm happier with a reel that just gets nicer every time I smash it off a rock (adds character!). Its got me thinking I should replace my other two special reels with 1492 models, as well, and I think going forward any rod not designated as salt or serious stuff will just get its own Pflueger anyways. (FWIW, I plan on taking my Chinese Medalist to the salt and steel anyways, it cost me $25, who cares if it gets wrecked? I'll have a backup anyways).

Alot depends on what the rod is BB101. There is no mention of the length or wt in the post. There are many many options out there for under $100.00. If it truley is and $800.00 Rod, you might want to consider something like an older english made Orvis Battenkill or such.
Bill

I might just have to take you up on that skiltonian. I believe that the rod is a 9 and 9 1/2 foot (depending on the tip) five or six wt.. Its hard to say though because the rod isn't marked.
Thanks for the info guys!

-skiltonian ill PM you to coordinate within a day or so

did a little research on the reel and its actually from the 1960, pre 1963 for its not revesible from right and left hand retireve. its set up for right hand retrieve only.

very nice reel.
Buy a drag plate from http://www.onepfoot.com/ and you're all set for either hand wind.

Indeed, Pflueger should be able to sell you a plastic plate, as well, or just pop one out of another Medalist.

I just picked up a pre-58 that I'm going to purchase some accrouements from Pfoot for.

OH that's right, i forgot about that.
I've heard that you have to call Shakespeare and tell them it's for a pfleuger CK (?) reel. Basically a modern Asian reel. Otherwise they won't sell you the plate. Again, i've only heard that on other forums but might help you out.

Back