Bamboo Rod ID

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone ever see one of these? It's 3 piece/ 12' long and came on a circular storage tube, pieces are cut into the outside of the solid tube, looks like the second tip is missing. No markings at all. A coworker is asking, it's a heavy beast of a rod that is very soft. Wonder what the use was?
Also a very strange tiptop guide.

Snake guides are incredibly small. Almost the diameter of a plastic fly line. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_413.jpg
    IMG_413.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_412.jpg
    IMG_412.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_414.jpg
    IMG_414.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 2
Tenkada.

Attachments

• 2017-05-08 12.08.17.jpg
    2017-05-08 12.08.17.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 2
Mo, I can't tell you what it is, but can tell you that it is very old, and that those wooden holders were common.

Likely not built for fishing gemmies, either.

Is it wood or bamboo? that might help date it. If bamboo, figure early 1900s, or maybe 1890s. If wood, older.

I think those tips went out in very early 1900s.

Could also be a bait rod.

These are just guesses. My books are at home.

I am old enough to have met-really oldtimers who actually made their own bamboo rods-pre Shenk and Koch- could this be someone's attempt at designing a rod ?

ack-hate AT&T dp--again

pete41 wrote:
I am old enough to have met-really oldtimers who actually made their own bamboo rods-pre Shenk and Koch- could this be someone's attempt at designing a rod ?

There are still plenty of people who make their own bamboo rods, and they're not all old timers. In fact, I'd guess the majority of cane rods made today are made by amateurs.

It's clearly an older rod, though, and not home made. The guides were made for silk lines, and the case is a style that hasn't been used for almost a century (nor has the tip-top for that matter.)

A wild guess would be a surf rod. I can't really make out enough details to even justify that guess.

Just guessing here Maurice, but it may be something like an old Chubb salmon rod. It may even be eight-strip Calcutta bamboo, rather than 6. Reel seat looks like a Chubb style anyway; raised rails. Grip looks like sheet cork (hard to tell from photo), which places it in the early twentieth century. Trolling for trout in New England and the Adirondacks was popular back then and such a rod would work for that style of fishing too.

My first thought was, looks like a Chubb reel seat. I was waiting to see if anyone else thought that. I didn't want to misdirect because I am just an amateur with general interest in production rods and equipped with google. ;-)

Mo. are there any markings at all on the reel seat? A patent number, or patent date? How about decorative machining on the slides?

Is there a shadow of a label on it? You can often identify the maker by simply the shape of the shadow.

I looked at a few old Chubb catalogs and couldn't find one that had the same front grip. link

Chubb had an interesting history. link

I don't think it is a Chubb or a Montague rod. Although could be a Chubb patented reel seat. Chubb did make several rods up to 12 feet, the ferrules don't look right. Neither does the front grip.

It is definitely a production rod, but my first guess is still an English two handed rod, for fly or bait.

A lot of manufacturers used Chubb, or Chubb style reel seats.

I think it's safe to say that old boo, is the new boo.

Take what I say with more than a grain of salt. I'm a complete amateur as well, but at one time I was somewhat obsessed with historical fly tackle, especially bamboo rods. Chubb sold a great deal of his hardware to the tackle trade, so patented Chubb reel seats are found on the rods of any number of different makers. And there were quite a lot of smaller tackle manufactories in America at the turn of the twentieth century. Because there were so many American tackle makers making affordable rods in that time period, I would say Maurice's rod is most likely American made.

Farmer Dave: I was looking through the 1895 Chubb catalog that you had linked above. I note that the smallest trout fly Chubb offered was tied on a size 10 hook. Those were the days before the dominance of the brown trout. Wouldn't you love to have a pair of those Hunter's Knives found on the last page of the catalog? Great prices too.

Hadn't even noticed those.

Way cheaper than pcray's less fancy knife.

Lots of those trout rods were 10-12 feet in length so it would seem euro nymphing was popular even back then

Hey sorry guys, thanks for the respomses, I had forgotten that I posted this.

Back