A reel to match my rod

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I bought a Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Finesse Series rod, a 7'9" 4 weight and have been waiting to buy a reel for it because at the time I could only afford the rod. This is my "Big Rod" for trout because I fish mostly of medium sized streams. So despite what some people say, I do feel the need for a nice drag, because I do play some of my trout on the reel. If I hook a big one I try to get em' on it right away. And I would like a large arbor or large diameter reel. Just because. Any suggestions. I saw an Okuma Integrity for under $100 and liked it. Also a G. Loomis East Fork for like $175, gettin' really steep. Where is my "bonus" by the way, hmmm? And an Orvis somewhere in beetween among others. Just some thoughts or oppinions please.

I have a similar rod, and put a cabelas prestige plus on it. I like the combo, and it was cheap.

I have an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock II that I use for my 4 wts. It's a nice, light reel for $100. You may want to look into the Ross Flywater also.

For Delaware fishing I picked up a Lamson Konic. It's well built, has a nice drag and didn't break the bank (I think it was around $125). In know some of the entry level Ross reels are pretty nice, as well.

Try a couple reels and see which one balances the rod best.

Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor around $120. Have one on my 5 wt and really like it.

jayL wrote:
I have a similar rod, and put a cabelas prestige plus on it. I like the combo, and it was cheap.

I'll second Jay's recomendation. I have several ad they work fine. You can get the reel and spare spool for well less than $80.

How about a Colton @ $110 plus they are PA company. My local shop has them and they are pretty nice and sturdy.

www.coltonfly.com

Check out the Okuma SLV

or if you want to spend a few more bucks look at the Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor or Lamson Konic.

Eidt to add: If you decide on the Battenkill Mid Arbor or Barstock order it before Jan 31 from Orvis.com and get a free spool.

There is a good selection of discontinued Ross Reels (and a few others) on SierraTradingPost including Rhythms, Flywater and Cimarron.

Don't buy them for the standard discount unless you're in a hurry. Search for a coupon or signup on their site and they will send you discount codes constantly. Just wait for one that allows an additional 20% or 15% off and sometimes with free shipping. 25% off comes around less frequently but it happens. The Flywater 2 is $65 or $89 with an extra spool. The Flywater 1 is $60 or $85 with an extra spool. The Rhythm 1.5 is $145. Get an extra 15% to 25% off and it's all good.

Good Luck.

I would check out the Fly Logic reels that you can get on ebay, from the Fly Fishing Shop store.

Find the store at this address:

Fly Fishing Shop

There are several models - they're really nice, with a nice drag. Made in the USA too.

nittspike wrote: "How about a Colton @ $110 plus they are PA company. My local shop has them and they are pretty nice and sturdy."

www.coltonfly.com

I've heard of them. Has anyone ever tried one out? The Company is from Dingman's Ferry, PA.

I bought a Redington CD 3/4 large arbor real on clearance. I looked at quite a few reels and this one was had a comparable drag and quality so for $85 it was a much better deal than some of the other reels I checked out. I spooled it up with some Rio Grand line.

i also like the orvis bbs. a very nice reel for a good price

http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx?dir_id=758&shop_id=1446

also look at the lamson konic reels and the discontinued radius great reels

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/closeouts.html

a lot of people like the okuma reels. i use a sierra for steelhead and have nothing but good to say. many people like the magnitude for lightnes and the SLV for overall best for your money.

http://www.okumafishingteam.com/nav1.html

i also have a pflueger trion. its a good reel but a little heavy, but rugged and can take a hit or 2. only problem with a heavey reel is when you use it with a short, light rod.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products/products.php?p=29

out of these, if i were to buy a new reel, which i'm loking into now actually, it between the bbs and radius.

Back